Spare battery sets

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited February 2016 in Commuting general
I bought Mrs MRS an eBay special 1600 lumen head torch for dog walking in the forest. It's been fine but, being cheap, the battery pack has died.

Can anybody recommend a source of 4-cell (the charger is 8.4v) battery packs with those generic concentric connectors?

It's this type of thing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-1600LM-XM ... SwEK9Ts-aT
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• That looks like the same as the MagicShine batteries but is difficult to be sure, though they are a claimed 7.4 V and 4.4aH
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The replacements on eBay are rated at 8.4v - I'd rather not get something as cheap, nasty and potentially dangerous again
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Try DX.com - I've not had any problems with the generic battery packs.
  • The replacements on eBay are rated at 8.4v - I'd rather not get something as cheap, nasty and potentially dangerous again

Magicshine offer a 1 year warranty being uk based they probably don't a choice to be fair.

The Magicshine 858 and battery pack seems well built, not to exposure lights point perhaps but well sealed bits of kit that don't seem cheap and nasty.

In terms of new battery is there a uk importer that is prepared to stand by there kit? This is why I went mildly upmarket from the eBay lights as good as the lights are, the battery's worried me
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The replacements on eBay are rated at 8.4v - I'd rather not get something as cheap, nasty and potentially dangerous again
    The battery packs are cheap and are slightly more likely to fail, but any battery can fail, its a more expensive charger that stops it becoming catastrophic.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121

8.4v is just a selling point. If it's Li-ion the n each cell is 4.2v when full but 3.7v nominal. The battery packs are 4 cells - 2 pairs of 2 in series.

Generally the packs have a protection circuit which stops them running too low or shorting. The charger seems to prevent overcharging.

If you're handy with a soldering iron you can buy a new pack and put your old wire on the new pack to ensure it fits.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    itboffin wrote:

This, Torchy knows his onions.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Those batteries are fine but I had one "fail" too but fixed it. The batteries are ok its the links between the cells that corrode. I just soldered some wires on and it was good to go.
    I bought a replacement in the meantime (a six cell one for longer rides) but the old one I carry in the pannier as a spare.