power difference

markyone
markyone Posts: 1,119
edited February 2016 in Training, fitness and health
Just fitted the powertap p1 pedals and linked to my garmin 810,what I have noticed is that there is a difference in power readings compared to my wahoo kickr when using the both of them together.
I would say between 60 or 70 watts more on the kickr with the powertap showing less :?
Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
Pinarello F8 with sram etap

Comments

• NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    There's going to be a difference between the two systems anyway
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Alpina007
    Alpina007 Posts: 106
    I have the same with my Stages PM and the Kickr. They tend to read similar up too 170 watts then the Stages drops to a 20-30 w difference.
  • go with your PM readings as that is what you will be using on the road, It may be annoying that the readings are lower but your still the same rider at the end of the day and comparing numbers with other people means very little
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    markyone wrote:
    Just fitted the powertap p1 pedals and linked to my garmin 810,what I have noticed is that there is a difference in power readings compared to my wahoo kickr when using the both of them together.
    I would say between 60 or 70 watts more on the kickr with the powertap showing less :?

How often do you calibrate the Kickr and how long do you warm up the Kickr before calibrating. I've had some strange power issues with my first Kickr and had some lengthy dialogue with Wahoo and TrainerRoad whilst looking at the issue and they both suggested running a spin down every use but to make sure I warm it up first for a few minutes. Turned out I had a faulty unit that Wahoo replaced.

P
  • Alpina007 wrote:
    I have the same with my Stages PM and the Kickr. They tend to read similar up too 170 watts then the Stages drops to a 20-30 w difference.
    However the reason why you see a difference in reported power is mostly likely a different one to the OP.
  • NeXXus wrote:
    There's going to be a difference between the two systems anyway
    if both are accurate, then that would account for at most a ~ 3% difference or a handful of watts. When variance is larger (e.g. the 60-70W reported by the OP), then it indicates that one or both are wrong, and substantially so.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    How clean is your chain?

I find that the dirtier the chain the larger the discrepancy between the power reported by my Kickr and my Power2Max.

I think it is because as the chain gets dirty a larger amount of power is wasted during the pedals.

Even though my bike has not been outside since October I still clean the chain weekly as sweat and dust gets into/onto it.

I don't experience huge differences though.