Planet X Pro Carbon Sizing

jwebs91
jwebs91 Posts: 5
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Looking at buying a Planet X Pro Carbon bike (http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPRIV ... -road-bike) but at 5"10 with a 32/33cm inside leg I'm right on the medium/large frame size boundary.

I currently ride a 545mm top tube Mekk 2G Poggio P1.5 Sora (2014) and have the saddle up pretty high but also often feel overstretched on the hoods (with 100mm stem).

Any advice would be appreciated as I don't want to feel cramped on it or too stretched out?

Cheers!

Comments

• marpick
    marpick Posts: 49
    Have you called them to discuss?

I ride a large at 6' 31" inside leg and it's perfect...would suggest a large fwiw
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Go for the smaller size if you have long legs. I'm in the same situation and if I had the size frame that my height and inside leg suggested I would be too stretched out.

I'm 6ft and have a 33 inch inside leg and have just bought a medium Focus Cayo. Although the large is what I should have on paper it is actually the medium with the seat up high that fits me so much better.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    A friend rides one, he is a similar size to you and he rides a Medium (547 ett). The Small size (530 ett) would be too small for you and the Large would make you feel even more stretched IMO.
  • Just ordered the medium, thanks for the help!
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    Let us know how it goes, I got the large one (I am 1.78, 81 inseam). I have long arms/legs but don't feel any stretch issues. I thought the medium would be too small compared to the Scott (56 toptube) I was riding. I did change the stem on the PX to 80mm from 110mm though.
  • zefs wrote:
    Let us know how it goes, I got the large one (I am 1.78, 81 inseam). I have long arms/legs but don't feel any stretch issues. I thought the medium would be too small compared to the Scott (56 toptube) I was riding. I did change the stem on the PX to 80mm from 110mm though.
    Will do, I take it your reach is pretty long?
  • Erasmus
    Erasmus Posts: 48
    The new(ish) way of thinking that a smaller frame is good for long legs / small body is good, but just need to be careful about saddle height. I'm 6' and my own height is more in legs, so was considering PX medium to help reach. I went for large, and glad I did - the medium would have needed even longer seat post. In the end it all fitted fine, but just need to keep both considerations in mind. Good luck, John
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    jwebs91 wrote:
    zefs wrote:
    Will do, I take it your reach is pretty long?

It feels fine. My other bike was 56cm and had a 110m stem. The PX is 57cm and I put a 80mm stem on it.
    I went with Large because the dimensions were closer to my other bike on which I never had experienced issues or injuries so I guess the fit was fine, could it be improved further? probably :P
  • Quick update. Got the medium and I have about 22cm of seatpost showing for it to fit comfortably!
    Took it for a ride round the block and the bars felt very low - feels fine on my turbo though.

Speaking to Planet X now about swapping for the large with an 80mm stem.

uaqyJvf.jpg

What do people think, too much?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    jwebs91 wrote:
    Quick update. Got the medium and I have about 22cm of seatpost showing for it to fit comfortably!
    Took it for a ride round the block and the bars felt very low - feels fine on my turbo though.

Speaking to Planet X now about swapping for the large with an 80mm stem.

uaqyJvf.jpg

What do people think, too much?
    I would worry about what might happen if you braked too hard ;-)

I'm 5'8" with a gorilla body & dachshund legs, and I like my Large PXs (pro carbon and XLS) just fine - in fact I fancy a longer stem on both.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    It's a compact geometry frame, you're supposed to have a lot of seatpost showing.
    So in short I wouldn't worry if it fits - if the fit is too aggressive then switch to the larger frame.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    This is how mine is set up... medium frame, 5'10" 32"leg. I have the bars reasonably low but thats how i like it. dGhcryP.jpg
  • CptKernow
    CptKernow Posts: 467
    I know it's a year on but I just bought a PX Pro medium frame and have to agree with the OP.
    I ride a Canyon Ultimate med and have the stem slammed. However, on the PX the ride feels pretty aggressive even with all the spacers.

I understand the compact geometry means a lot of seatpost is going to show, but it feels like the stack height is equally low.

Not sure getting a bigger size is necessarily the answer either as the longer top tube is going to mean you need to stretch further.

I'm still tweaking mine so may well find a better setup. Until then I'll have to put up with the back ache...