Cable actuated hydraulic brake

Garfy2891
Garfy2891 Posts: 4
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
I am contemplating upgrading my cable pull disc for a hydraulic version. In my hunt for options, I have come across a "cable actuated hydraulic brake", whereupon the reservoir and and cylinder are in the caliper itself and linked by a standard cable to the brake lever.

Has anyone had any experience of these or any thoughts on them please.

Many thanks

Comments

• kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Garfy2891 wrote:
    Hi,
    I am contemplating upgrading my cable pull disc for a hydraulic version. In my hunt for options, I have come across a "cable actuated hydraulic brake", whereupon the reservoir and and cylinder are in the caliper itself and linked by a standard cable to the brake lever.

Has anyone had any experience of these or any thoughts on them please.

Many thanks

Sounds very Sketchy...

Name? Model? Link?
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    They're more for road and cyclocross than MTB. Drop bar bikes use integrated shifters and brake levers, which was of course fine when all you needed was rim or canti brakes. But the current trend is toward fitting road and CX bikes with disc brakes and since mechanical discs aren't bling enough, everyone wanted hydraulics. Trouble was, this meant buying new levers, which are crazy expensive. Enter TRP and their cable to hydraulic HY/RD. Meant you could keep your existing shifters on a frame suitable for disks and retrofit the caliper. The earlier units were hideously, dangerously unreliable. The newer ones are probably less dangerous, but they're more than a decent set of dedicated hydraulics for anyone using flat bars. All in all, a pointless component in the MTB world and fairly redundant for roadies these days.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You can get a decent set of Shimano brakes for that (CRC - Alivio sort of level).
    Deore for not a whole lot more.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    The fact that the brand in question do not exist outside of Amazon would make me run a mile. If you have rotors, a set of M355s will be more than adequate, if you don't CRC do a bundle on Clarks M2s for slightly less than your link. They won a group test in a magazine a while ago (probably MBR[?]) for brakes under £50 or similar.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They're a pretty much unknown brand. You won't be able to go into your local bike shop to pick up a set of pads and getting a bleed kit may be impossible.
    Get some fully hydraulic Shimano brakes, even the budget ones are really very good.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Came up as suggested right under the cable ones, and cheaper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SHIMANO-BR-BL-M ... C6JEQNW78X

White are even cheaper than that.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • That's fantastic, thanks for the input guys. Your advice has made my mind up. Not going to risk it.