Giant Propel - reusing cables

Dan Walton
Dan Walton Posts: 147
edited February 2016 in Workshop
Hi all. I want to sort out the cabling on my Propel, it's not really done much in they way of mileage yet so I was hoping I might be able to reduce the cable lengths without having to renew the internals.
If I cut the existing ferrules off with some decent cutters are the cables likely to fray? Is there anything I can do to prevent that which won't add to much bulk as obviously it still needs to fit through the guides? I was thinking of possibly a bit of solder...
As for feeding the cables through, I was thinking of tying some thread to the cables before pulling them out to use a draw cord to pull them back through.

image_2.jpeg

As you can see, it's those pesky gear cables that are really letting the side down... and the rear brake cable... and the front a little bit too. :oops:

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    When you say ferrules, do you mean the cable end caps which will usually pull off with pliers, though sometimes need cutting off, a set of quality cutters is less likely to cause fraying. However even if you solder the ends to stop this, I think the problem with trying to re-use the inners is that once they have been crimped by the cable clamp bolt and distorted they can be a PITA to re-thread, worth a try but I'd order a new set of inners to have ready in case you are not successful.

If you are shortening the outer to the extent that you are removing the crimped section of the inner cable, then you may be ok.
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    Soldering inner cables is the best way to stop them fraying. However, it's hard to solder stainless steel unless you have suitable flux (phosphoric acid works). An easier way to seal the ends is superglue.
  • DJ58 wrote:
    When you say ferrules, do you mean the cable end caps which will usually pull off with pliers, though sometimes need cutting off, a set of quality cutters is less likely to cause fraying. However even if you solder the ends to stop this, I think the problem with trying to re-use the inners is that once they have been crimped by the cable clamp bolt and distorted they can be a PITA to re-thread, worth a try but I'd order a new set of inners to have ready in case you are not successful.

If you are shortening the outer to the extent that you are removing the crimped section of the inner cable, then you may be ok.

Yes, I'll be shortening the outers enough so the part of the cable that has previously been clamped will be cut off.
    Mr Evil wrote:
    Soldering inner cables is the best way to stop them fraying. However, it's hard to solder stainless steel unless you have suitable flux (phosphoric acid works). An easier way to seal the ends is superglue.

So my theory isn't that stupid then! I'll try a bit of solder, if not a bit of superglue will also be able to hold some fishing line or similar in place to pull back through.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    I think u need some very small bore plastic tubing for inner removal and replacement, feed over wire whilst still in place, remove wire, feed back into tubing to refit, you dont need solder or glue, just use the correct cable cutters, cut above the damaged clamp area and the inners will not fray.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    As above re crimpy end cap things: cutting off with decent cutters will leave a perfectly serviceable end, a dab of superglue will solve any heartache.

The frame may have built in cable guides (do a quick Google) otherwise piece of thread will do the job nicely.

Nice and easy job if you take your time,

Remember to post piccie at end of job so we can see the mighty improve bi-cycle.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Use plastic tubing, or thread if you want a 'mare

viewtopic.php?t=12992690
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Done it loads of times.

Get some old brake cable outers. Pull off outer casing and metal inner casing. That will leave you with thin plastic liners. Thread these through the frame over current cables, masking tape will hold these in place. Then pull out all cables and amend length. Rethread through the frame.

Cables should not fray unless you try to force the cable through a small gap wrongly repeatedly. Since all the cutting of outers can be done without re-threading the STI's or handlebars then that should never happen.

If you lose one of the guides, get a cup of tea and a strong magnet.
  • Excuse my ignorance, but if I've already got an unbroken set of cables going through the frame, if I attach some fishing line or similar before pulling them out I can just use that to pull them back through surely?

So step by step:

Cut inners

Solder/glue ends

Fix thread/line to inners

Pull inner cables through and cut line/thread without losing it back into the frame!

Cut outers to length

Reattach inners to line/thread and pull back through nice short outers and frame

Clamp inners back in place and cut thread

End caps back on

Stand back and admire handy work.

It's almost too easy...
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Don't see how you'll be able to shorten the outers without completely removing the inners - making your fishing line a bit irrelevant. However, assuming the internal guides are all in place, you shouldn't have too much trouble re-running the inners after you've shortened the outers.
  • Because I'll pull the fishing line all the way through and then fix it at both ends, meaning I just reattach shorter cables and pull back through.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    because that won't go through the ferrules at the end of the outer I would have thought
  • Hmm, I guess I'll just buy some cutters and take a look.

Thanks for all the tips, guys.
  • Dan Walton
    Dan Walton Posts: 147
    edited February 2016
    5619f38b1fa7301bd9387d00e1e1dc16.jpg

Finally managed to get round to doing this. Borrowed a friends bike stand to make life a bit easier.

It wasn't all that bad to do in the end although I probably wouldn't like to be feeding cables into the frame for the first time, the cotton draw cord was a lifesaver.

Not quite finished as I couldn't find my cable end caps and I need some more ferrules so I can trim the front brake down a little bit too.

I do have a few other pics showing the routing a bit clearer but Photobucket is playing up at the moment.
  • image_3.jpeg

f19dbd02f30d4d2feb199d26d502fe87.jpg

750023C7-DA53-416E-82E9-74FE79E92117.jpg