Changing from 10 speed to 11 speed

Sanjay
Sanjay Posts: 108
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Hello,

Just looking for some quick advice.

My 4 year old Sram Red 10 speed drive train is very worn now and I am looking to change to Red 22. Do I need to change anything else on my bike to accommodate this change? Will the rear hub take an 11 speed cassette?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I think your last question depends on the wheel / hub?
  • Sanjay
    Its a Mavic R-SYS 2012 model which came with the bike.
  • keef66
    I think that would be 11 speed ready then.
  • keef66
    You buying the complete groupset or just those parts strictly neccessary?
  • Sanjay
    If I buy the parts I need replacing there isn't much difference between that and the discounted groupset prices at the moment. I just want to make sure my bike will take it all as it is.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Sanjay wrote:
    If I buy the parts I need replacing there isn't much difference between that and the discounted groupset prices at the moment. I just want to make sure my bike will take it all as it is.

All you need to change are the shifters and the cassette. The derailleurs work fine as 11 speed.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    Sanjay wrote:

All you need to change are the shifters and the cassette. The derailleurs work fine as 11 speed.

and chain.

And spacer for the cassette. I'm sure Mavic hubs are all 11-spd ready and have been for many years, but you might want to check the size of the cassette backing spacer you will need.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire