New Smart TV / Freeview recording tech-help please

KnightOfTheLongTights
KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
edited March 2016 in The bottom bracket
Got myself a nice new Samsung TV (with Eurosport Player App - yes!) - but hadn't quite realised they do not have a recording feature, which is a bit of a drawback compared with the old YouView (fancified freeview) box.
I have ordered a couple of HDMI cables - one will be used for DVD player; the other I am thinking I can use to connect my YouView box for recording purposes.
I suppose my Q is: how will the TV 'know' when I want to use the box's guide rather than its own?
Currently when I turn on the DVD player (currently connected with Scart cable) it 'overrides' the TV. Will the same happen if I connect a freeview box?
I know that one can buy a USB HDD to record on to but I have heard that this is not wholly satisfactory - you can only record what the Guide is tuned to etc etc?

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    there should be a button on your TV remote called "source" or something similar - press that and chose the option that makes your youview stuff appear.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    there should be a button on your TV remote called "source" or something similar - press that and chose the option that makes your youview stuff appear.

Ok thanks Chris - so no reason why it shouldn't work?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Are you thinking to use the PVR/Freeview box to record from the Eurosport app on the Smart tv?

That'd be sort of backwards would it not? Normal routing is ethernet into the Youview or whatever box which does all the work, records what's programmed etc, and the tv acts as the display.

Dunno how the PVR would get the signal from the TV app to record it. Would it pull it back through the HDMI? Haven't tried that.

BT Youview has Eurosport channels on it.
  • chris_bass
    they way i suggested you'd need to record onto the youview box using the youview signal, don't think it would receive anything from your tv so wouldn't be able to record as orraloon says.

something like a DVD recorder is probably your cheapest option for this.

could be wrong though.
  • Thanks both. No, I wouldn't need or want to record from the Eursoport App.
    I just want the capability to record Freeview progs and series, and not have to rely on catch-up.
    I don't have BT Youview or any subscription services, I just have a YouView box that I was given - I just used it as a Freeview box, and was hoping that I could ditch it now I'd got a Smart TV.
    BUT it seems it might come in useful as I could use it just to record?
    I'm just wondering if it would record 'in the background', i.e., if I was using the Smart TV's own guide, or the DVD player, as the source to watch things.
    I will find out soon enough as the HDMI cables have arrived ....
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    The youview box will work just the same as it always has, except you will be viewing it through a new TV.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    As mentioned above - plug the Youview box into an HDMI input on the TV. Keep the aerial going into the youview box, then out to the tv.
    When you want to set something up to record, change the TV source to the Youview box, use the Youview remote to choose what to record. When finished setting it up, return TV source to "TV".

If it supports it, , you might be able to control your Youview box using the TV remote if driving it over HDMI (look through your TV menus for HDMI-CEC)

I've got an old non-smart freesat tv with a freeview recorder and a nowtv box as well as consoles. I chop and change sources a lot.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • thanks again all - will give it a whirl ce soir....
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    As mentioned above - plug the Youview box into an HDMI input on the TV. Keep the aerial going into the youview box, then out to the tv.
    When you want to set something up to record, change the TV source to the Youview box, use the Youview remote to choose what to record. When finished setting it up, return TV source to "TV".

If it supports it, , you might be able to control your Youview box using the TV remote if driving it over HDMI (look through your TV menus for HDMI-CEC)

I've got an old non-smart freesat tv with a freeview recorder and a nowtv box as well as consoles. I chop and change sources a lot.

Most of the above is what I do, too.

It's similar to the VCR days. Aerial to vcr, "aerial" from vcr to tv. But now I have a hard drive recorder, the signal from the aerial passes through the recorder and I only use it when it's switched on and acting as a source.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Capt Slog wrote:

It's similar to the VCR days. Aerial to vcr, "aerial" from vcr to tv. But now I have a hard drive recorder, the signal from the aerial passes through the recorder and I only use it when it's switched on and acting as a source.

Thanks.
    As my YouView box appears on last night's evidence to be b * ggered - what sort of HDD do I need? I believe it has to be of a particular speed / size / whatever? I'm not up for spending much TBH.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Capt Slog wrote:

Thanks.
    As my YouView box appears on last night's evidence to be b * ggered - what sort of HDD do I need? I believe it has to be of a particular speed / size / whatever? I'm not up for spending much TBH.

Was the YouView box working before you upgraded the TV? If so, it's probably not bust, just needs re-setting up?
    If you do want a Freeview recorder, look at humax stuff as it allows copying of stuff from their hard drives to network/usb drive, circa £130 for basic freeview , but you can go to over £300 depending on size of HD you need.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Capt Slog wrote:

Thanks.

Was the YouView box working before you upgraded the TV? If so, it's probably not bust, just needs re-setting up?
    If you do want a Freeview recorder, look at humax stuff as it allows copying of stuff from their hard drives to network/usb drive, circa £130 for basic freeview , but you can go to over £300 depending on size of HD you need.

Yes - YV box had frozen already -one of the reasons I gave up and got a smart TV. From some Googling it appears to be a common problem with them that might or might not be fixed by resetting it, which I'll try tonight.

re. HDD, I meant a USB HDD, (rather than any sort of HD or DVD Recorder) - you can record onto these from your Smart TV guide as long as you get an appropriate one.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If you record onto HDD or flash drive from your TV, are you not stuck with the limitation that it can only record the programme you are watching? I may be wrong but I would not assume that a Smart TV comes with two tuners...
  • chris_bass
    do eurosport not have an iplayer type thing? wouldn't need to record then and should be able to get it on the smart tv
  • wolfsbane2k

Yes - YV box had frozen already -one of the reasons I gave up and got a smart TV. From some Googling it appears to be a common problem with them that might or might not be fixed by resetting it, which I'll try tonight.

re. HDD, I meant a USB HDD, (rather than any sort of HD or DVD Recorder) - you can record onto these from your Smart TV guide as long as you get an appropriate one.

Ah, ok. I've got no experience of USB HDD recording direct from a TV, but would expect almost any to do the job. Does the manual give you size recommendations/limits?

Also, as advised above, I would expect this solution to limit you to only record what your watching, not a second channel ( ok if you watch catchup while recording something that won't be on catchup ( BBC 3- I'm looking at you and American Dad/Family guy.... the main reason I still almost daily use a HDD recorder!) , if it allows it.
  • [url][/url]
    apreading wrote:
    If you record onto HDD or flash drive from your TV, are you not stuck with the limitation that it can only record the programme you are watching? I may be wrong but I would not assume that a Smart TV comes with two tuners...

Yes exactly, I believe so, hence trying to avoid that.
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    do eurosport not have an iplayer type thing? wouldn't need to record then and should be able to get it on the smart tv

It does but its catch-up unreliable as they tend to delay putting up the day's live coverage until highlights package has gone out.
    In general I like to record - you know you've got it, and you can fast fwd adverts e.g., the ITV4 Live Tour coverage of the day. And not every channel has catch-up anyway.
  • I'd still recommend the Humax route. It will have two tuners minimum meaning you can record two programmes at a time (how often do good things clash at say 9/10 in the evening) and still watch something else on your TV. If you look on gumtree/thebay/ AVforums you should be able to pick up a 500gb recorder in the £40-£60 range second hand as upgradeitus is as prevalent in the AV spheres as it is in cycling!

Humax's are pretty solid and bug free in my experience which I can't say for things like Appletv 4od and all the other catch up platforms.
  • wolfsbane2k
    I'd still recommend the Humax route. It will have two tuners minimum meaning you can record two programmes at a time (how often do good things clash at say 9/10 in the evening) and still watch something else on your TV. If you look on gumtree/thebay/ AVforums you should be able to pick up a 500gb recorder in the £40-£60 range second hand as upgradeitus is as prevalent in the AV spheres as it is in cycling!

Humax's are pretty solid and bug free in my experience which I can't say for things like Appletv 4od and all the other catch up platforms.

Couldn't agree more. Loving my 6 year old humax, and ive hacked it for speedier USB access to the recordings!
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    We have a Humax and my wife uses it independently from the Sky+ recording and it works fine.

Whilst we are on this subject I need to change my old Sky+ in the living room to a newer one with a bigger HDD, can any one advise how to get the recording that we have made on the old Sky+ box that we don't want to lose onto a memory card or even a DVD recorder?
  • wolfsbane2k
    Currently a cracking deal on refurbed Humax Freesat boxes:
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/humaxdi ... so-2389206
  • So, yet more TV tech confusion...
    The Eurosport app on my 'smart' TV.
    I've logged in and got the live channels fine, but assumed that I would be able to access the catch-up service through it too?
    I gave up and watched Monday's Paris-Nice stage on my laptop instead...
    Am I missing something?