Audaxing 2016

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited August 2016 in Commuting chat
So, back to it for me! If anyone fancies there are a few events that actually start from W London and I am doing two this year, the Ditchling Devil that a few of us did in 2014. I am also doing one organised by Marcus JB whom frequents BR. Here is the link to the 110 that I am going on, there is a 200 too:

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-370/

So if anyone fancies joining me, get entering!
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Saddles?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I don't fancy starting or finishing any ride in London if I'm honest.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • menthel
    Those of us that live here take what we can get! ;)

And yes, saddles are a good idea.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Thanks Menthel for helping push my events! The money is in the post.

I think it's brilliant to see an increase in Audax events starting in London and this summer has a good number of rides starting from SW London in particular:

5th June - London Ditchling Devil

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-888/

Highly recommended ride, down to Brighton and back. Fast becoming a classic event with a large field and excellent TLC along the way. Love this route, few bumps, but a fast 200 for sure. I won't be riding the event as I will be working my way back on a London-Montpellier-London ride, but I might just make it to the pub at the end!

6th August - Cogidubnus CC 200

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-369/

My event! Has an accompanying 110km event alongside it (linked above by Menthel). The 200 is a great run through the Surrey Hills and over the South Downs to turn at Chichester and then back. Not entirely flat. In fact, hitting Barhatch Lane and then Combe Lane with over 160km in your legs is quite a test of resolve!

More information here - http://www.marcusjb.com/cogidubnus-200/

11th September - TBC out of Kingston

No details to link to yet, but KW have a proposed 200 on this day. I have seen the route and it looks good. Very much not flat - actually looks really quite hilly!

Beyond these ones out of SW London, if you are brave enough to head North or East, there are a bunch of other events starting within London this year:

9th April - The Shark

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-291/

15th May - The Great Escape

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-251/

23rd July - Straight Outta Hackney

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-349/

So, plenty going on for anyone wanting to take a step up to 200km events. Remember, it's not a race and you have nearly 14 hours to finish a 200km event, so anyone with decent fitness and a bit of mental fortitude will be in a good position to get around.

There are also some 100km events around (including my (110km!) one).

Audax events are generally very low cost and simple events run by individuals and clubs. They will feature anyone and everyone from properly fast racers to the Audax stereotype of beard, sandals, steel bike and Carradice (who, sometimes, will be the fastest of the whole lot!). Generally, a very welcoming, encouraging environment where riders will look out for one another and support each other when needed. Events from 50km up to 1400km in the UK.

Any questions on Audax events in general, and my events in particular, please do ask away!
  • meanredspider
    menthel wrote:

Yes - it's a bit of a shame because I love the idea of these but fighting red buses and taxis isn't my idea of fun.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • menthel
    menthel wrote:

Yes - it's a bit of a shame because I love the idea of these but fighting red buses and taxis isn't my idea of fun.

Loads of events start all over the country. Certainly some from the Cotswolds. Having done the devil, there was no fighting at all- about 25 out of 205 was in London and that was relatively painless. Beyond that it's pretty awesome!
    RIP commute...
  • meanredspider
    I like these sorts of rides - I will check out the others
  • menthel
    I like these sorts of rides - I will check out the others

You can use the audax uk website to filter rides and there is a map mode to find ones close by. Audax rides are all over th country and worth seeing out.
    RIP commute...
  • menthel wrote:

You will be lucky (?) to see a single taxi heading south from Wimbledon common at 08:00 on a Sunday morning.
  • meanredspider
    menthel wrote:

You will be lucky (?) to see a single taxi heading south from Wimbledon common at 08:00 on a Sunday morning.

Yeah - but you do have to come back too.

Whenever I do London events, I have ultimate respect for London bike commuters because, relative to the commutes I've ever done, the conditions are crap.
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Thanks for posting guys. Definitely want to pop my audax cherry this year. The Cogidubnus and the Ditchling Devil sound very tempting!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    If you need any more tempting, just look at one of the great views you will experience on the Cogidubnus CC and Cheesy Peas 110:

11182021_10153253541501691_1285373981008772263_n.jpg?oh=008ea82b34596610f21435ab39f6cff9&oe=56FDC632

You just need to use your imagination a little and imagine rather less cloud than today and more view! Lovely day out, but I do hope the weather will be a bit clearer in August!
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Hmmm Having done the Ditchling one last year (great fun) I might give the Cogidubnus a go
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I've already signed up for the Ditching Devil again, it was by the best event I did last year by a considerable distance.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    bell
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • smokey_bacon
    Right then, signed up for the full Cogidubnus. Looking forward to it. Ditching Devil will have to wait till next year. Need some time to get the miles in the legs.
  • menthel
    Right then, signed up for the full Cogidubnus. Looking forward to it. Ditching Devil will have to wait till next year. Need some time to get the miles in the legs.

Nice. I suspect I will do the 200 next year. It looks to have a similar profile to the devil so should be fun!
    RIP commute...
  • smokey_bacon
    menthel wrote:

Nice. I suspect I will do the 200 next year. It looks to have a similar profile to the devil so should be fun!

Should be a grand day out. Now ive got to work out how to use my garmin for directions! If you are ever after some company on weekend rides PM me.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Now ive got to work out how to use my garmin for directions! If you are ever after some company on weekend rides PM me.

Step 1: Do not allow the Garmin to decide the route for you. Plot it beforehand using MapMyRide, Strava, RidewithGPS etc, upload it to the device and have the Garmin just show the preplanned route.
    Step 2: DO NOT ALLOW THE GARMIN TO DECIDE THE ROUTE
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    dhope wrote:
    Now ive got to work out how to use my garmin for directions! If you are ever after some company on weekend rides PM me.

Step 1: Do not allow the Garmin to decide the route for you. Plot it beforehand using MapMyRide, Strava, RidewithGPS etc, upload it to the device and have the Garmin just show the preplanned route.

Not sure dhope was clear enough - but really do not allow the garmin to decide a route; this really is important. Search on "scarletfire garmin" if you need instructions for getting free decent maps, how to upload, and best settings. I find the route building on ridewithgps better.

And if you upload multiple routes make sure they are distinguishable by name in the first 10-15 characters - it is really annoying to find you have a choice between "SD Home to Hotel via", "SD Home to Hotel via","SD Home to Hotel via", and "SD Home to Hotel via" because the Garmin is only displaying the first 15 characters or so and chopping off the distinguishing part
  • menthel
    I have ridden with a few people off here before- we should try again soon.

As for route, you take the route sheet, load up ride with gps and google maps and map it out from the route sheet. I find streetview really useful when doing that!
    RIP commute...
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I'd be keen to join in on a weekend ride or two. Much better motivation to get out of the door at the weekend.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Name going down for the Ditchling Devil, so need to up the km ridden.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    menthel wrote:
    I have ridden with a few people off here before- we should try again soon.
    I'm ignoring this thread in the hope that it will go away.
    I'm away in early August, so it looks like the Devil for me.
  • menthel
    Excellent! ;)

Shall we attempt to organise a weekend leg loosener? Stops not optional! These are usually as successful as the pub meet ups...
    RIP commute...
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    As well as +500 million on do not allow the Garmin to plot thr route, also so not just follow the Garmin blindly and sail past the info points without noting down the relevant information...!
  • dhope wrote:

And make sure it will not try to correct your routes! My garmin touring did this originally.
  • smokey_bacon
    Got it, don't trust Garmin! Thanks Gents.

Definitely up for a leg loosener as you put menthel. If there is a pub involved...even better.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Got it, don't trust Garmin! Thanks Gents.

Definitely up for a leg loosener as you put menthel. If there is a pub involved...even better.
    Yes, I've been working from home for 3 weeks due to a sick daughter so need to get some miles in. I have been known to drink beer on occasion.
  • menthel
    We could cycle to a brewery...

http://www.surreyhills.co.uk/4606.html

Shere drop is lovely!
    RIP commute...