10 Speed chainset options

aidso
aidso Posts: 493
edited January 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I need to replace the chainset on the bike (worn) and finding it hard to find SRAM chainrings...these appear to be hens teeth unless I buy the full crankset.
Currently I have:
  • Shimano SLX 10speed shifters
  • SRAM X7 front derailleur
  • Shimano XT shaddow rear derailleur
  • SRAM chain
  • Truvativ chain rings 36/22 104bcd

I need to replace the chain rings and chain...
Do I have any option to buy a KMC chain and Shimano 36/22 chain rings to work with that setup or do I need to replace more?

Thank you.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Any 104mm BCD chainring should fit, occasionally you need to take a file to the tabs by the bolt holes to get them to fit, but this is rare and easy to do.

Yeas you can use a 10s KMC chain.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    As you are replacing the chain and chain rings, I hope you're going to buy a new cassette as well?

Do you need the front mech as you could just fit a narrow wide chain ring, seems to be the in thing at the moment.
  • aidso
    aidso Posts: 493
    I'd prefer to keep it as a 2x10 setup with the shifters and yes the cassette will go too. It's much easier found than the SRAM/Truvativ rings :).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I prefer Shimano rings, just use them instead.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.