Cyclocross bike £1k

MrGrumpy
MrGrumpy Posts: 288
edited February 2016 in Cyclocross
looking at buying a Cyclocross bike on C2w will be used mostly for the winter bad weather commute type thing so mudguard option would be good. Saw Merida cyclocross at this budget looked a good buy, cannon dale and giant both offer decent options as well at this price point any others worth looking at?

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Its not strictly a cross bike but the Cannondale Synapse is hard to beat for a mudguard compatible disc equipped winter commuter.
  • Its not strictly a cross bike but the Cannondale Synapse is hard to beat for a mudguard compatible disc equipped winter commuter.

I have one which I use exactly for that and it is very good.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • looking at buying a Cyclocross bike on C2w will be used mostly for the winter bad weather commute type thing so mudguard option would be good. Saw Merida cyclocross at this budget looked a good buy, cannon dale and giant both offer decent options as well at this price point any others worth looking at?

I have just purchased the Cannondale Caddx 105 for my commute but also because I'm using it off road on canal paths and the like. I'm not sure why you want a Cyclocross bike if it's only for the road, as others have said you might as well go for a pure road bike. The Cannondale cross is a great bike though if you want it for a duel purpose.
  • Ridley X bow
  • There was a chap using a Synapse Disc (carbon) on one of our CX rounds the other day................
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I got a 2015 Genesis Croix de Fer 20. Excellent bike if you can find one on sale. I got mine through c2w scheme and use it for commuting.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • MrGrumpy
    Went to my local bike shop for a wee browse again, got my voucher so good to go but not a lot in deals. One bike stood out and it was reduced by 500 quid but no deal could be done in c2w :-( it was a crux e5 cracking looking bike in blue , nothing else looked decent after seeing that lol . Anyone got. Cube race pro cx ? This has just come up on the radar hydraulic brakes proper ones and shimano 105 . All in for £1099, however special order and running out of sizes ! Looks lovely in the pics and ticks a lot of boxes ! at this rate Planet X and merlincycles own branded bikes now seem appealing . Only issue is mudguards but there are ways around this !
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Dunno if you can do Halfords but the latest new higher-spec Boardman CX is £999

That's the trouble with C2W though - rarely get deals as the shop has to pay C2W a fee.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • MrGrumpy
    Halfords not an option now as gone cycle plus route , good timing eh! New models seem good value at £999. Cube looking fav just now just would be happier seeing one in the flesh first before jumping!
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Can you put in the extra £99? I know I can't add money to go over the £1k limit with my work.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • MrGrumpy
    Officially no but apparently you can top up ie pay the difference . The bike shop just become a bit creative with the receipt!
  • MrGrumpy
    Well plumped for the Cube, full hydraulic brakes, shimano 105 seemed a good buy, not exacty feather like but will spend most of its time commuting.

cross_race_disc-424x250.JPEG