What brakes with SRAM Red (10 speed) levers?

BlueNGT
BlueNGT Posts: 119
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Having just sold my old Giant TCR and replaced it with a used Specialized Tarmac (American Flyer version), it is fitted with SRAM Red from about 2012 so is 10 speed. I want to change the brakes to dual pivot and ideally wanted to be able to put 105 5800 brakes on it as they appear great value for money but what I am being told is they are not compatible due to pull ratio's of the new Shimano equipment. Currently has some old FSA brakes fitted.

The way I see it is I try and find a relatively cheap, and acceptable performing dual pivot or swap the whole Groupset out for a new 105 or Ultegra Groupset and sell the Red on aBay.

Has anybody come across anything like this before and come up wit a cost effective solution?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I use 2012 Record brakes on my 2012 Red levers and they work perfectly - I got them for nothing so negates any Campag/SRAM mixing arguments.

Be sacrilege to swap it all out for Ultegra, utterly silly to swap out for 105.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    BlueNGT wrote:
    Having just sold my old Giant TCR and replaced it with a used Specialized Tarmac (American Flyer version), it is fitted with SRAM Red from about 2012 so is 10 speed. I want to change the brakes to dual pivot and ideally wanted to be able to put 105 5800 brakes on it as they appear great value for money but what I am being told is they are not compatible due to pull ratio's of the new Shimano equipment. Currently has some old FSA brakes fitted.

The way I see it is I try and find a relatively cheap, and acceptable performing dual pivot or swap the whole Groupset out for a new 105 or Ultegra Groupset and sell the Red on aBay.

Has anybody come across anything like this before and come up wit a cost effective solution?

Thanks in advance.

I don't get this with pull ratios. I have SRAM Force 22 on my Reacto with Shimano 105 5810 direct mount brakes and they work just fine. (SRAM don't make direct mount brakes yet otherwise I'd have them.) Front response is instant (as I like it) rear is so so but mainly because of where it's mounted on the bike under the BB. SRAM Red 2010-12 brakes are good brakes but if you must have dual pivot why not SRAM Rival 22 keeping the brand name the same?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • BlueNGT
    BlueNGT Posts: 119
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Have tracked down a nice pair of the Dark Grey 6700 calipers on here that will do the job by the sounds of it from WW forum replies.