Carbon Damage?

petehk22
petehk22 Posts: 4
edited January 2016 in Workshop
First post ... be gentle :D

Have decided to go full carbon and bought the Specialized Tarmac Comp.

I been merrily sorting gear indexing on my turbo trainer and the bike has slipped out of the rear mount (with me on it). :cry:

Having heard the scare stories about damaged carbon I was initially pretty concerned but looking more closely it has scraped off paintwork about 1mm deep a centimetre or so up from the wheel mounting and exposed a silver surface.

Question is, is the wheel mount section actually aluminium or similar and goes in to a carbon tube a little further up (in which case I'm lucky) or have I done some damage?

Will put pictures up if I can work out how to ...

D133wT

https://flic.kr/p/D133wT

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Looks all the world like aluminium to me
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • One of those holding back the tears moments ...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Aluminum - same as on the drop out just below.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Looks like Alloy but its also a long way up from the clamping area to still be alloy.

however, does your turbo need a specific QR ? mounted properly, bikes dont come out of a turbo by them selves! u dont want it happening again!
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Yes Alloy, and don't use a quick release like that in a turbo, that's why you fell out.

Need one with a ball end like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbo-Trainer ... xyLN9Sem9H
  • Thanks for the comments. Intended to use the old aluminium frame bike on the turbo but will probably get one of the suggested quick releases as suggested. Will also get a bike maintenance stand so I can index more easily in the future. :shock:
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    that is the alloy drop out, so no carbon damage.

if you don't have a correct skewer try doing the clamp up so it points horizontally, that way there is no rounded edge for it to pop out.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...