The new ONE BIKE to rule them all?

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited January 2016 in Commuting chat
Howdy folks,

It seems the Planet X Kaffenback 2 isn't the one bike to rule them all and I'm in the market for a FGSS drop/bullhorn bar with disc brakes.

The 2015 Genesis Day One is looking like 'the one' after a brief search, but as I'm so far out of the loop I assume there are hidden gems (like the Kaffenback) that deserve a look.

By the way, if anyone cares, the SP PD8 dynamo hub front and Hope Pro II Evolution rear wheelset (on H Son + Archetype rims) matched up with an Axa 70 Luxx Plus Front light and B&M Secula Plus rear light are fantastic. On the new bike I'll be replacing the front wheel with exactly the same as the Kaff's and I'll be riding it fixed. I'll probably build a whole new wheelset so that the front and rear rims match. Yes, I'm a bit of a tart.
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    out of prison so soon?

welcome back fella
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    itboffin wrote:
    out of prison so soon?

welcome back fella
    Only because I grassed you up. Expect a knock on the door from the boys in blue.

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    out of prison so soon?

welcome back fella
    Only because I grassed you up. Expect a knock on the door from the boys in blue.

i always do :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Hello stranger,
    Welcome back indeed. Hope you had a good trip?
    Don't Planet X do one? I can't think who but I'm sure someone is running a London Road in SS. Could be Redvee.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I've been looking at build options for a few years now.

However, disc framesets tend to be SS only and not fixed(?) someone correct me if wrong! Are you after SS?

I'm on the lookout for..
    -Track rear spacing
    -Disc fork available that doesn't mess up the rake/handling
    -proper guards
    -rear facing drop outs
    -modest weight
    -geometry; not too relaxed
    -upto 28c tyres

Not a budget option but the Condor Tempo with Fratello disc fork is worth a look. Also Pearson might be able to build a custom disc Once more unto the breach. These are both fixed only options.
    Be interested to hear other ideas.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    iPete - I used to have a Voodoo Wazoo Cx bike that would have ticked all your boxes except the track spacing (and it was steel, so could have been respaced quite easily). Vertical dropouts, but mounted so that they could slide backwards and forwards to adjust chain tension on a fixed build. Nice frame (and the best head tube badge ever) but I ended up selling it because it was too small. Alternatively, Planet X do "Swapout Dropouts" on some of their On One bikes, allowing you to replace the conventional dropouts with rear-facing ones.

Eke - long time no hear, welcome back!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • iPete wrote:
    I've been looking at build options for a few years now.

However, disc framesets tend to be SS only and not fixed(?) someone correct me if wrong! Are you after SS?

I'm on the lookout for..
    -Track rear spacing
    -Disc fork available that doesn't mess up the rake/handling
    -proper guards
    -rear facing drop outs
    -modest weight
    -geometry; not too relaxed
    -upto 28c tyres

Not a budget option but the Condor Tempo with Fratello disc fork is worth a look. Also Pearson might be able to build a custom disc Once more unto the breach. These are both fixed only options.
    Be interested to hear other ideas.

If you jam a freewheel solid, does it not become a fixed?
    left the forum March 2023
  • iPete
    ugo I'd not thought out the mechanics, I guess you can fit a regular track cog, take the disc off and hey presto! Unless as you allude, the freewheel is part of the hub.
  • iPete wrote:
    ugo I'd not thought out the mechanics, I guess you can fit a regular track cog, take the disc off and hey presto! Unless as you allude, the freewheel is part of the hub.

They are just regular SS hubs with a six bolt attachment for disc. Problem is a track cog needs a lockring which you cannot fit on the SS hub. Is there an alternative to a lockring?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Is there an alternative to a lockring?

Don't skid, stamp down hard away from the lights.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    iPete wrote:

They are just regular SS hubs with a six bolt attachment for disc. Problem is a track cog needs a lockring which you cannot fit on the SS hub. Is there an alternative to a lockring?

Suicide hub. Rotafix the sprocket tight enough (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotafix) and you probably won't die.
  • tgotb
    Is there an alternative to a lockring?
    Rear brake.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • EKE_38BPM
    I've been to a few shops and there doesn't seem to be an 'off the shelf' option (which I already guessed) and the options seem to be Genesis Day One or a On-One Pompino but get On-One/Planet X to put a disc fork on.

I'm leaning towards a Pompino frame, disc fork (Kaffenback?), normal Pompino finishing kit, but no wheelset. For the wheelset, I've already got a pair of Archetype rims and a nice MTB front disc hub which I plan to convert to a rear fixed hub using a VeloSolo bolt-on sproket. For the front it'll be another SP dynamo hub. Throw in some tapered spokes and the rest of the wheelbuilding stuff & dynamo lighting and it'll be what I want. Total bike cost should be around £750 but I already own the rims and what is going to be the rear hub.

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds great....

Though not convinced an FGSS can ever be the 'ONE BIKE'....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iPete
    One bike for what? If I didn't race then the fixed would be the one.

EKE, also worth looking at the Surly Steamroller as they offer a road disc fork.
    Some people on LFGSS have done this, the rake is slightly different but seems OK.
    Also check out All-city bikes.

Will dig out info later.
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I've been to a few shops and there doesn't seem to be an 'off the shelf' option (which I already guessed) and the options seem to be Genesis Day One or a On-One Pompino but get On-One/Planet X to put a disc fork on.

I'm leaning towards a Pompino frame, disc fork (Kaffenback?), normal Pompino finishing kit, but no wheelset. For the wheelset, I've already got a pair of Archetype rims and a nice MTB front disc hub which I plan to convert to a rear fixed hub using a VeloSolo bolt-on sproket. For the front it'll be another SP dynamo hub. Throw in some tapered spokes and the rest of the wheelbuilding stuff & dynamo lighting and it'll be what I want. Total bike cost should be around £750 but I already own the rims and what is going to be the rear hub.

How about the cotic roadrat?
  • iPete
    iPete wrote:

uknown but I want to retain my powertap track wheel so hanging out for a 120mm frame.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    iPete wrote:
    iPete wrote:

uknown but I want to retain my powertap track wheel so hanging out for a 120mm frame.
    If it's just a case of wanting to use your existing wheel you can fit spacers to use a 120mm wheel into a 130mm or 135mm dropout, you might need to replace the axle, shouldn't be too much drama, although I've no idea if there'd be knock on effects from it being a powertap if you do need to swap the axle.

Certainly I wouldn't expect 120mm rear spaced disk framesets to appear anytime soon.

You're probably better off looking for a disk fork that has 'close enough' geometry, or just trying one out that isn't particularly close, as I suspect in practice not that much difference will be made.
  • As someone who recently built up a dynamo wheel with a SP PD8 I definitely agree that they're superb. One word of caution, though. The Pinnacle came with 140mm rotors and Shimano post-mount hydraulic calipers; with a 140mm rotor on the PD8, the spokes were fouling the caliper slightly. I've had to adapt to using 160mm rotors at the front.
  • TimothyW wrote:
    If it's just a case of wanting to use your existing wheel you can fit spacers to use a 120mm wheel into a 130mm or 135mm dropout, you might need to replace the axle, shouldn't be too much drama, although I've no idea if there'd be knock on effects from it being a powertap if you do need to swap the axle.

In 1986 yes, in 2016 no. Very few hubs still have 10 mm threaded axles... powertap is not one of them
  • Or a Cotic Roadrat (short)... I am running one which has 132.5mm rear spacing and is steel so you can run MTB 135mm or road 130mm rear hubs in it but probably not track, clearance for 36c tyres. I then have a Surly rear fixed disc hub http://surlybikes.com/parts/wheels/hubs_v1 built onto a Aerotrack rim, on the front I then just have a cheap deore hub. Then drops with gerneric levers and TRP Spyre cable disk brakes.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • tgotb
    TimothyW wrote:

In 1986 yes, in 2016 no. Very few hubs still have 10 mm threaded axles... powertap is not one of them
    I guess you could get a longer axle made up; bearings wouldn't be as close to the dropouts as the original version so the bending moments would be higher, but you could probably get away with that by making it solid (as it's a fixie). Quite a lot of hassle though. Easier to sell the wheel and build a new one with the right spacing?

I *might* be in the market for a Powertap track hub if the price is right (or even a whole wheel, depending on rim and spokes...)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • EKE_38BPM
    The Rookie wrote:
    Sounds great....

Though not convinced an FGSS can ever be the 'ONE BIKE'....
    I was just extracting the urine out of myself. I repeatedly said on this forum: "If you could only have one bike, then the Kaffenback is the one to have", and now I'm the market for another.

Well, I said I was in the market, but I may have to wait a bit. In the last six hours I've had an rmail from my tax accountant and another about my mortgage which suddenly put a new (and non-essential) bike very much on the back burner.
    Unless I take out a finance deal (which I don't want to do), I shall have to settle for window shopping, planning and saving for a few months. Whoop-de-do!

• EKE_38BPM
    As someone who recently built up a dynamo wheel with a SP PD8 I definitely agree that they're superb. One word of caution, though. The Pinnacle came with 140mm rotors and Shimano post-mount hydraulic calipers; with a 140mm rotor on the PD8, the spokes were fouling the caliper slightly. I've had to adapt to using 160mm rotors at the front.
    Great, ennit? What lights do you have? I'm loving my front light's USB port. Never run out of juice for your phone (or Garmin or whatever) again (as long as you are riding at slightly faster than walking pace).

A bloke I saw yesterday really rated the PD8 but said the PD8X was even better. Something to do with the bearings, but I can't remember exactly what though.

ETA
    A bit of Googling tells me:
    SP PD8-X
    Lighter
    More powerful
    Almost twice the price!

I'll stick with the PD8.

• I currently have a 70 lux B&M Luxos B, no USB charging, but I like the simplicity. I have, however, just ordered the new 100 lux IQ X:

26666_1.jpg
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    As someone who recently built up a dynamo wheel with a SP PD8 I definitely agree that they're superb. One word of caution, though. The Pinnacle came with 140mm rotors and Shimano post-mount hydraulic calipers; with a 140mm rotor on the PD8, the spokes were fouling the caliper slightly. I've had to adapt to using 160mm rotors at the front.
    Great, ennit? What lights do you have? I'm loving my front light's USB port. Never run out of juice for your phone (or Garmin or whatever) again (as long as you are riding at slightly faster than walking pace).

A bloke I saw yesterday really rated the PD8 but said the PD8X was even better. Something to do with the bearings, but I can't remember exactly what though.

ETA
    A bit of Googling tells me:
    SP PD8-X
    Lighter
    More powerful
    Almost twice the price!

I'll stick with the PD8.

Isn't the PD8X just a QR15 version?

Edit- Missed your edit :x
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017