RIP Sassone.

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
edited January 2016 in Pro race
Ex Cofidis & 2001 Madison World Champ (no I didn't remember that either) died aged 37.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/former- ... s-aged-37/

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Sad. Those Cofidis squads were out of control and really fcucked up their physical and mental health.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Timoid. wrote:
    Sad. Those Cofidis squads were out of control and really fcucked up their physical and mental health.

Yep
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Awful news.
    RIP.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    There must be a story that is "not" being told by GB riders who rode on those squads at that time.
    I refer to Philippe Gaumont riding with Chris Boardman at GAN (I believe they shared a room)
    I remember Chris working hard up Mont Cassell for Gaumont to win the 4 Jour Dunkerque.
    Philippe Gaumont is notorious for his use (and supply) of his "Pot Belge" when he joined the Cofidis team for 7 years but he had quit racing before Bradley Wiggins joined that team a couple of years later.
    Other riders who were there with him include David Millar, Frank Vandenbroucke, Lance Armstrong, Bobby Julich, Igor Astarloa and others that made good performances.
    Philippe Gaumont Died age 40 and was still a Hero in the Picardie region.

We now have "Rest In Peace"
    Frank Vandenbroucke Age 34
    Philippe Gaumont Age 40
    Robert Sassone Age 37
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    deejay wrote:
    There must be a story that is "not" being told by GB riders who rode on those squads at that time.

Rob Hayles mentions it in his autobiography.

"Rob Hayles, who rode in the team for three years, talks in his recently-published autobiography about coming down to dinner at a training camp in January 2003 and taking the seat opposite where Gaumont was enthroned, holding court "like a medieval king". "Ah, Rob, you have the honour of sitting in front of me," Gaumont announced, before leaning forward and whispering, "Let me tell you, Rob, if you finish your career with half the results I have got, you'll have had a very fine career."

Hayles' reply – "Philippe, if I'd done half the gear you've done, I'd have twice the results you've got." – brought the house down. Gaumont laughed the loudest of the lot."

(from this excellent article: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/phi ... -terrible/ )
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Isn't really about Gaumont is it?
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Er, it kind of is?
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Crampeur wrote:
    Er, it kind of is?
    It Depends on which Tunnel some people decide to use their Vision in.
    I don't like tunnels.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972