Puncture resistant tyres (& tubes?) for hybrid

normw
normw Posts: 6
edited February 2016 in Commuting general
I commute 5 miles each way per day to work and up until December all was fine.

I have been running slime tubes and Vittoria Voyager Hyper tyres - the slime tubes are all gone now as they failed to seal holes they should've - the slime had leaked out all over the inside of the tyre before I could remove the object and reinflate.

So they went back to the shop and I got normal tubes. Now in 3 days I've had punctures both front and rear twice due to hawthorn hedge thorns. They're going straight through the tyre like a knife through butter. The root cause is a tractor hedge trimming the sides of the bridleway on my route but there's not a lot I can do about that.

The main issue I have is the tyres are an absolute nightmare to get the bead seated correctly on the rim, due to the fact they are folded type. So every repair turns into a 30min battle to get them reseated properly.

Can anyone recommend me:

700c x 32 or 35 puncture resistant tyres.
700c x 32 or 35 puncture resistant tubes - can you get some with thicker wall section?

A bit of an aside, but has anyone tried those solid tyres you can get?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• bendip
    bendip Posts: 114
    I have had issues with my hyper voyager tyres, nice ride but i found weak sidewalls and like you thorns puncturing twice in less than 300 miles, previously i ran vittoria randonneur pro in 32mm and they don't ride as nicely as the voyagers but they are incredibly tough and flat resistant ie i ran the to bare carcass for 4/5k miles with no flats, planet x often have them discounted, i will try schwalbe marathon greenguard later this year, my mate commutes twice as far as i do and he bangs on about them constantly, regards tougher tubes, i've never tried any and have relied on the quality of the tyres i fit to get me through.

http://goo.gl/EYs015
    Tell the stars I'm coming,
    make them leave a space for me;
    whether bones, or dust,
    or ashes once among them I'll be free
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Schwalbe marathon plus for as close as you can get to unpuncturable pneumatic tyre, pain to fit and not the nicest ride.

My Hybrid rolls on thicker Hybrid type tyres, much more resistant!
    [Whisper mode] 2 punctures in 6500 miles commuting [/Whisper mode]
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    The Rookie wrote:
    Schwalbe marathon plus for as close as you can get to unpuncturable pneumatic tyre, pain to fit and not the nicest ride.

My Hybrid rolls on thicker Hybrid type tyres, much more resistant!
    [Whisper mode] 2 punctures in 6500 miles commuting [/Whisper mode]

This exactly.

Last year about 8000km commuting on marathon plus and no punctures - 500km on others (much nicer to ride) and 3 punctures.

If you do buy marathon plus - check out Spa Cycles guide on youtube on how to fit them. I carry three old boot laces and the times I have punctured with them (all on metal construction debris/swarf in london) I can get them on and off in only about twice as long as a normal tyre :D
  • normw
    bendip wrote:
    I have had issues with my hyper voyager tyres, nice ride but i found weak sidewalls and like you thorns puncturing twice in less than 300 miles, previously i ran vittoria randonneur pro in 32mm and they don't ride as nicely as the voyagers but they are incredibly tough and flat resistant ie i ran the to bare carcass for 4/5k miles with no flats, planet x often have them discounted, i will try schwalbe marathon greenguard later this year, my mate commutes twice as far as i do and he bangs on about them constantly, regards tougher tubes, i've never tried any and have relied on the quality of the tyres i fit to get me through.

http://goo.gl/EYs015
    Strange, as I also previously had a different Vittoria tyre, that was non-folded, in 35mm for a couple of years. They could've been randonneur's and wore well and resisted punctures well. Hell, I even rode 1 or 2 miles on a flat/deflating tube sometimes. Eventually I wrecked the sidewalls doing that and the tread was also all gone so they had to go.

The 32mm Voyagers seem to have the puncture resistance of tissue paper, but it's the difficult of getting the bead to pop up to seat properly that's my main bugbear. You end up with a flat spot where the tyre dips and it makes the wheel feel square.

I really wanted Vittoria Open Pave's, but they won't fit my rims (rim too wide) even in 32mm.

I appreciate the Marathon Plus' have the best puncture resistance, but by the sound of it they'll be worse to mount on the rims than my current tyres which is my main issue. Unless they really are 100% puncture proof they'll make my situation worse. I've also read reviews saying they aren't the best for grip and handling.

Maybe I'm approaching it the wrong way and I need tyres that are quickest to mount on and off the rims for when the punctures happen!

Thanks.
  • I've run Marathon pluses for about 1300 miles now. I puncture the other day but I put that down to my impatience and running through the crap that gathers while trying to jump the queue at a particular snarl point. They are a bastard to fit, much easier now they've broken in, still needed leavers though. Ride was harsh to start with but I think they're ok now.

Avoidance is much better than repairing at the side of the road, especially this time of year.
  • The Rookie
    You can always put some quality (Stans for example) sealant in the tube (as long as it's removable core), about 20ml is enough. I recall helping a friend after his tubless MTB tyre punctured (sealant had dried out - was over a year old) and we had to remove 17 thorns before fitting a tube.

For absolute zero puncture guarantee, use 'solid' foam tyres.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I use Marathon Plus on my Boardman Hybrid. Yes, they're heavy. Yes, they're not responsive. Yes, they will stop you getting hypothermia as you're lashed by horizontal sleet in a winter squall while your fingers turn blue trying to change a tube for the sixth time that week.

I have Schwalbe Ones for summer, mind.
    Carrera Subway 2015
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2014
  • I used to rate Schwalbe Land Cruisers highly on my Saracen Pylon8, which used the 26" version, but they can be had in 700x35c and possibly 700x40c too.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • normw
    Thanks, I'll, look up the Schwalbe Land Cruisers. It's tempting to struggle the next month or two knowing my tyres are probably fine in the better weather.

Does anyone know if the rubber solution for puncture repair goes off? I tried to fix a pinhole at the weekend and did all the usual, roughened it and got rid of any dust, waited till the solution went tacky, stuck on the patch firmly. Then waited 10mins, chalked it and inflated. Went out to check 10 mins later and it was flat again, the patch hadn't stuck properly.
  • The Rookie
    Yes, once the tube is opened (seal pierced) it will eventually go off, it should be liquid when it comes out, if it's 'gummy' and more like a jelly it's gone off.
  • Continental Gatorskins of Schwalbe ultra marathons

They cost about £10 more each than normal tyres.

When you've had to repair a puncture in the pissing rain, on a cold dark night that £10 (or £20 given you want 2) is a total irrelevance and you'll never regret it
  • My commute also takes in a bridleway with hedges either side. I started using Continental Country Plus and have had no issues with punctures since. I think 37cc is the smallest size though. They are not light but it's a good workout!