Introduction from Yorkshire! God's country!

jakey226
jakey226 Posts: 12
edited February 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi,

im jake from Barnsley, 23 just got myself a Boardman pro 29er on cycle2work to help get myself back fit, used to ride years ago but looking to get myself back into it now, steady 15 or so loop this week to pop its cherry!

I used to be very "bike fit" even if ive never been particularly athletic....im a big bloke but unfortunately now got a big belly so hopefully this is going to help!

anyone knows any good routes round barnsley area let me know!

Jake

Comments

• Hi Jake

Im in Yorkshire also but a bit further up the M1 which is a shame as I also just got a Pro 29er and we could have met up.

Not been out on mine yet, mixture of not having the time and working away.

But hopefully February.

Any tips on riding/maintaining etc let me know.

Cheers

Rich
  • sonypc100 wrote:
    Hi Jake

Im in Yorkshire also but a bit further up the M1 which is a shame as I also just got a Pro 29er and we could have met up.

Not been out on mine yet, mixture of not having the time and working away.

But hopefully February.

Any tips on riding/maintaining etc let me know.

Cheers

Rich

when the decent weather comes ill be looking at a rack for car anyway so a bit up the M1 wouldnt be a problem, where abouts are you pal? im new myself, havent rode for a few years, ill let you know how i find it when im out this weekend
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    The TPT runs past the stairfoot roundabout and is a neat route all the way up to Leeds or downward to chesterfield :-)
  • zx6man wrote:
    The TPT runs past the stairfoot roundabout and is a neat route all the way up to Leeds or downward to chesterfield :-)

it does indeed mate!one of the few routes I know haa
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    jakey226 wrote:
    when the decent weather comes
    Yorkshire? Long wait?

On a clear day in Yorkshire you can see it raining, on a bad day it still rains you just can't see it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    The Rookie wrote:
    jakey226 wrote:
    when the decent weather comes
    Yorkshire? Long wait?

On a clear day in Yorkshire you can see it raining, on a bad day it still rains you just can't see it!

You know it's summer in Yorkshire because the rain is warmer, eyup OP I'm from Barnsley also but live in Wakefield now. Get on the tpt up to Penistone then get off at bullhouse bridge and head to Langsett and cut gate, North America etc, some good mtbing round there. Nice 40-50miler if you include the tpt.
  • nar then rigga! ive heard theres some to be done up that way on, gunna have to build a bit of stamina first though, I head out for a 50 mile at the minute ill need stretchering home!
  • As you guys are near me, any of you done the Wakefield loop in full?
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    It doesn't rain all the time.. When it doesn't, we have some of the best natural trails of anywhere.. and when it does, those trails just get more interesting..

I know I'm on the wrong side of the forum for "the rules" but some of you need to just #rule5 and get out more.. I go out sun or rain. The only difference is what clothes I wear..

Where I am, I have prime access straight into the Dales and really not bad access into the Moors.. 2 national parks at my fingertips, along with some of the most friendly people you will ever meet. I've never had anything but a "good day" when I go past walkers round here... From what I hear, it's a different story further south..

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • Also based in Yorkshire living in the centre of Leeds.

Not checked it out myself (as my bike is arriving today) but Stainburn is apparently a fun trailhead. Quite short runs so I've heard but a lot of fun.

About an hour in the car for you I guess, maybe a bit out the way.