Getting into TT - without a club?

livb
livb Posts: 59
edited February 2016 in Road general
Hi,

My boyfriend wants to start doing some open TTs with me, while I'm a member of a club he isn't. Does anyone know what the cheapest way to get CTC affiliated is? Are there any online only clubs that will just allow you to be affiliated? He only has a TT bike so can't really do club rides.

Thanks

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    You don't need to do club rides to be part of a club, so I'd just join a local club that suits and away you go.
  • You don't need to do club rides to be part of a club, so I'd just join a local club that suits and away you go.

This. I basically never go on club runs with my club yet I still participate in other ways.
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    Search http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/clubs for likely looking local 'clubs'. You may find your local shop has a team and would be happy for your boyfriend to 'join'.

Paul
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    He should be able to do a couple as a guest - just keep on "guesting" until he gets around to any of the above options.

If he's friendly/good enough after a while people will forget he's not part of the club (especially if he's with you and you are part of the club - people will just assume that he's followed in your wheel tracks, so to speak) and he can carry on as is.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    He should be able to do a couple as a guest - just keep on "guesting" until he gets around to any of the above options.

If he's friendly/good enough after a while people will forget he's not part of the club (especially if he's with you and you are part of the club - people will just assume that he's followed in your wheel tracks, so to speak) and he can carry on as is.

He can usually do club events without being in a registered club, but not open events. It's about insurance as much as anything.

Time trialling (as all amateur cycle racing) depends upon clubs and club members to run events, and by being in a club (and helping out sometimes) is the way that the sport can continue.
  • livb
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I think it probably makes sense if he just joins my club then
  • livb
    just in case anyone else was looking for a club for races I found Chapeau has one for free http://www.chapeau.cc/peoples-bicycle-club.html
  • Join a proper club. It's local clubs that keep these grass roots events going and they all need members.
  • livb wrote:
    just in case anyone else was looking for a club for races I found Chapeau has one for free http://www.chapeau.cc/peoples-bicycle-club.html

No mention of CTT affiliation so no open TT entries with these - only British cycling TT events which are few and far between.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    If he wants to do Open TTs he needs to belong to a CTT-affiliated club.

Assuming your club is CTT, yes easiest if he just joins your club - he needn't ever go near the club if he doesn't want, never do a club ride

But it would be rather considerate if he did put something back, eg marshalled at your club's event, rather than just taking by doing events other people put on...