Felt Nine 50 vs BMC Sportelite SE Deore-SLX

SnowDoo
SnowDoo Posts: 6
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide between two bikes at the moment based on my research and market availability. It's the Felt Nine 50 or the BMC Sportelite SE Deore-SLX. There's a small cost difference between the two, the BMC being more expensive, and I'm trying to understand if the difference is negligible or worth it. The Nine 50 comes only in Small while the Sportelite can come in Medium.

From what I understand, the Sportelite is at an advantage with the fork (RockShox XC30 TK Solo Air) vs RockShox XC30 Tapered. Though as a beginner (my last bike was fully rigid), I'd like to know what you guys think about this?

Also, I noticed that the Deore XT on the Felt Nine 50 may have the advantage in components vs the Deore-SLX. Though, from my perspective, it seems that it's just a small, albeit negligible, concern.

The last thing that's eating me up is the size of the frame and the wheels. If I get the BMC one, it's a 650B while the Felt is a 29er. I'm measured as a medium frame guy so it would be logical to buy for my size. But I someone told me that I could go for a small frame with a 29er, and it would still be okay for my size. I'd like to understand how the wheel and frame size could affect my riding. And would you agree that a smaller frame with a 29er is very similar to a 650B with a medium sized frame?

Lastly, if this is any help for you guys, the purpose of the bike is for commutes on weekdays and trails on the weekends. And if there's anything glaring that should be noted, please do! Hoping to get insights! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Links to specs?

Tapered refers to the steerer, it may or may not be an air fork and the air fork may or may not be tapered (of the two tapered is better than plain steerer).

XT is a few grams lighter than SLX and has better jockey wheels.

Your snap shot comparisons are fairly irrelevant, you need to look at the whole as a package, that's why we need links please.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    its irrelevant if you don't fit the small bike
  • Here are the links!

Felt Nine 50
    BMC Sportelite SE Deore-SLX

How will I know if I don't fit the bike? Other than the measurements, is there anything I need to consider for a bike to fit when I ride it?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sit on them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Measurements only go so far, as CD says, you sit on them.

the most important part is the length (saddle to grips) there is only a small amount of adjustment there but lots in the seatpost for leg length.

Wheel size doesn't have any effect on frame size, the positions of the pedals, saddle and grips aren't changed, whoever suggested it does is someone who's advice you should nod politely at and then ignore.

Of the two I'd have the BMC (for the air fork), and if the Felt is too small anyway, then it doesn't matter how good it is!

Why those two?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Some of my friends who are avid bikers recommended these two. Someone also recommended Cube but I'm having some trouble finding this on display. There's also a couple of other brands available like Giant, Trek, Specialized, Merida. But nobody seemed to recommend them. Do you have any suggestions?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They all make some excellent bikes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    They all make some excellent bikes.

Very insightful. :) Any recent models to be specific?
  • The Rookie
    Budget? Type of riding? Your location?

Then (and only then) can a sensible recommendation be made. I suspect you aren't in the UK as neither model is that poplar here.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Budget? Type of riding? Your location?

Then (and only then) can a sensible recommendation be made. I suspect you aren't in the UK as neither model is that poplar here.

The budget could be pegged to around 1K USD. Type of riding would be XC and trails would be the most extreme I'd go right now. Location is the Philippines right now. We don't really get a lot except those brought by bike shops... so mail ordered might not be an option due to shipping cost.
  • The Rookie
    No-one here is going to be an expert on prices in the Philippines I'm afraid, so there could be some brands that are great value and we wouldn't know.

That said if those are coming in at below $1k then they aren't dreadfully bad value for sure.