Looking for a sub 1000 euro 29er hardtail

mfacey
mfacey Posts: 8
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I've just moved out of the city and what to swap over my road bike which has been collecting dust for a few years and give MTB a try. I've got a budget of no more than 1000 euros (about 800 GBP). I've my heart set on a 29er hardtail and want something that is fun to ride and keep me satisfied for more than one season without tons of upgrades.

So far I had narrowed the choice down to:

Trek X-caliber 9
or
Canyon Grand Canyon 6.9

I have read on this forum that Canyon is having a hard time fulfilling orders right now, so that might rule them out. I chose the Trek because I am a long-time Trek road bike rider. Been very satisfied with their bikes so far. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What country are you in?

Usually the big name brands are poor value for money at this price point.

This is a 27.5 not a 29er, but excellent value
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rafal-700-mo ... 38359.html

Much better fork than the Trek and a clutch controlled rear mech.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mfacey
    Ah yes, sorry, I'm in the Netherlands.

I've been reading up on bikes like the voodoo and this Rafal, but alas, that would mean I need to travel to the UK to pick one up.
    Even brands like Marin are almost impossible to come by here.

Anything more "mainstream" worth considering?

Thanks
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm sure there are Decathlon stores in Netherlands?

And I thought there were 57 gazillion bikes per person there. And no Marins?

If there are no Konas I'd suggest opening the dykes and just giving up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    http://www.decathlon.nl/mountainbike-ra ... 38359.html

There is a Marin importer for Nl, although his website carries no reference to that fact.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mfacey
    Yes, I noticed there is a decathlon and they sell that particular model. I've settled on 29" wheels though. Also, I'm a bit concerned about residual value on lesser known bikes. If I do get into the swing of things (which I hope will be the case) I want to have my options open in selling and buying something a few steps up in a few years. Not sure a Decathlon bike would do well in what is nothing less than an mainstream brand bike country...!

Marin is odd. I've found 2 LBS that carry Marin according to the Marin website but no mention of it on the LBS's website. Plus they are all relatively far from where I live.

What about Specialized, Scott, Merida, Bulls, BMC, Focus, Ghost, etc?

I'm really struggling to distinguish between them besides side by side comparisons on equipment and price. Surely equipment and price isn't everything?
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    "mfacey wrote:
    What about Specialized, Scott, Merida, Bulls, BMC, Focus, Ghost, etc?

A friend has a Bulls Hardtail and while he likes it, it's only because he hasn't tried anything else. Imho, Bulls is a pretty crap company with a bad value on most bikes.

While specialized is good as a brand, I doubt that you will find a good Hardtail in that price category from them.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • The Rookie
    If you are happy to by an inferior bike where 200 Euro is spent on the name, go ahead.

Some of those brands offerings at this price point are shockingly bad.

Why do you think you want a 29er?
  • I just bought this and I love it:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s155p6 ... SL-29-2015

Top spec for the cash if you can get it in your country with a good discount.
  • ArnieB
    ArnieB Posts: 16
    Nice Cube

I picked up a Cube Ltd race 29er 2014 last year from a bankrupt stock sale - price was very nice.

after a year I'd say I've loved it. Its really light and quick - the shimano kit is a decent standard and its a great XC bike.