Do forks need to be broken in?

Jamielam96
Jamielam96 Posts: 12
edited January 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi, the title sort of explains it all. But is there anything that needs to be broken in before it will work properly.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • But they do bed in over a time period right? Like they get smoother over a period, but work perfectly 'fine' out the box?

That's the impression I had at least.. Please correct me if I'm wrong :)
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    But they do bed in over a time period right? Like they get smoother over a period, but work perfectly 'fine' out the box?

That's the impression I had at least.. Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

I guess it could be possible that the oil moves around...

I haven't noticed any difference between when I got the bike and now anyway.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • Fair enough.. Guess that's what I get for reading too much and not properly understanding what I read :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes they do bed in slightly, it depends on the fork.

Mostly noticed as a slight reduction in 'stiction'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Yes they do bed in slightly, it depends on the fork.

Mostly noticed as a slight reduction in 'stiction'.

I can definitely feel that, as I'm a very light rider. Will it improve over time?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes, because that's what bedding in means!
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    My forks suffered from stiction, read that it's not uncommon for forks not to be lubed properly from factory, stripped mine and the seals were very dry (the foam inserts that hold the oil). Massive improvement after a service.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Rockshox in particular are not very good at putting lower lube in their forks.
    I would always open up a new set of forks and make sure there's lube in the lowers.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Rockshox in particular are not very good at putting lower lube in their forks.
    I would always open up a new set of forks and make sure there's lube in the lowers.

Mine were Rockshox Rebas
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    the zocchi on my bike took a day or two of riding to bed in as it were. so yeah can happen on some forks. zocchis it was far more notable than my pikes.