Shock Pressure

jakey226
jakey226 Posts: 12
edited January 2016 in MTB beginners
I need a bit of advice, im a larger cough** fat gentleman and just got a Boardman Pro 29er, set up myself because I dont trust Halfords as far as I can throw em, bike feels fine as is at the moment but only had a little blast round the roads, once i get onto trails and through the woods I presume the standard pressure in the forks isnt enough, ill be getting a shock pump this week at some point what pressures would you guys recommend to stop me bottoming out every time my 19st lands, forks are RockShox Reba RLT..

any advice greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance!

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Download the RockShox guide HERE.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    Download the RockShox guide HERE.

Thanks! didnt even know such a thing existed!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Are the solo air or dual air?
    Use the guide as a very rough approximation at best, and set the amount of sag (maybe around 20% as a starting point for that sort of bike) sitting on the bike in attack position, with your regular gear. It helps to have someone helping.

Set rebound around the midpoint, ride and fine tune.

This is quite useful.

http://www.cyclemonkey.com/suspension_101.shtml
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thanks cooldad ill have a look, according to the guide im going to be somewhere between 135 psi and the max at 200, I dont fancy riding round with em pumped upto max press anwyay. Ill set as you recommend and then fettle as required when ive got a spare bit of time, hope to find a bit of time on sunday afternoon :)
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    you might find youll have to add tokens to ramp up the end stroke to prevent bottoming out
  • POAH wrote:
    you might find youll have to add tokens to ramp up the end stroke to prevent bottoming out

possibly, see how i get one, it wont be getting too much hammer mainly road and trail