Alternating between MTB and Roadie - Muscle issues

maroofsm
maroofsm Posts: 3
I have been riding MTB for 3 years, and have recently purchased a road bike. Bike fit is ok for both bikes. I noticed that after riding the roadie, when I go out with the mtb the next day, I feel kind of uncomfortable with the muscle during pedaling just above the hips at right side. I cant explain the feeling, it feels like something is holding the muscles. There is no pain, rather just a little bit of uncomfort, as if the muscles are having struggle to stretch or contract. I do not have any prior back/waist pain issues. With the mtb I am perfectly ok. What could be the reason? Is it temporary? I want to keep both the bikes, mtb for trails, and roadie for tours and commuting.

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The geometry of the bikes is different so you are working different muscles in different ways (and, I guess, some muscles in almost identical ways) - there will be residual fatigue and stiffness in some that will show up as you swap. I used to commute all winter (December to April) on my MTB on nobbly (studded) tyres doing 35 miles a day with plenty of elevation. I'd always think that when I jumped on my road bike once the ice had gone, I'd be like a greased weasel but it was always just a few muscles that would limit me - at least until they'd got used to the new regime.

Keep going and it will settle down.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Thanks a lot, I will be greatly delighted if it settles down. Cannot think of not riding my mtb during the weekends.
    The geometry of the bikes is different so you are working different muscles in different ways (and, I guess, some muscles in almost identical ways) - there will be residual fatigue and stiffness in some that will show up as you swap. I used to commute all winter (December to April) on my MTB on nobbly (studded) tyres doing 35 miles a day with plenty of elevation. I'd always think that when I jumped on my road bike once the ice had gone, I'd be like a greased weasel but it was always just a few muscles that would limit me - at least until they'd got used to the new regime.

Keep going and it will settle down.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    I dont have any issues with riding off road mtb and road biking, i ve made sure saddle ht is similar as is the distance of saddle behind BB, the reach is much shorter as is the HB drop but otherwise all is good.
  • The Q-Factor will always be greater on a MTB (width between pedals) and that combined with the saddle set-back (normally not as far behind bottom bracket for MTB) is consequential in changing the accentuation of various muscle groups, most specifically the hamstrings and glutes.
    Bill Black