New Helmet on a budget.

jimothy78
jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
Looking for a new open-faced helmet.
Would ideally like something with plenty of coverage, but ventilation is top priority, and maximum budget of about £60.
7iDP M2 looks pretty good - anything else worth having a look at?

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited January 2016
    Have got an M2 it's not the greatest helmet in the world but it's not too shabby. It's a fairly safe design/shape and will be fine for a lot of people but in terms of quality I think £60 is tops it's not worth any more imo.

At this price point there's a lot of choice
    Spesh Tactic
    Bell Stoker
    Giro Feature/Xar
    Urge somethingorother
    661 Recon
    Oneal Defender
    maybe a NOS Met Parabellum or a 2014 TLD A1 if you're not too fussed about colours although the A1 is kind of hot

Someone will be along shortly with a 'whatever fits' comment but all too often it's the cradle that fits and there's very little of the actual helmet in contact with the head
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Cycle Surgery in Snow & Rock stores have these on sale at the moment. Got a good review on Bike Radar too.

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/giro-phase- ... sting=true
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • jimothy78
    .blitz wrote:
    At this price point there's a lot of choice....

Someone will be along shortly with a 'whatever fits' comment...

Obviously, and my existing helmet (MET crossover)was bought on that basis alone.

What I'm trying to do is sort out a short list of helmets that maybe offer a little more protection and that I can then track down to try on in the flesh. Thanks for the list - some there that I hadn't considered yet, so will have a look at some reviews to narrow down the choices a bit.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    jimothy78 wrote:
    Looking for a new open-faced helmet.
    Would ideally like something with plenty of coverage, but ventilation is top priority, and maximum budget of about £60.
    7iDP M2 looks pretty good - anything else worth having a look at?

buy a few from CRC and send the ones back that don't fit.
  • kyle17290
    kyle17290 Posts: 261
    Ixs trail rs ??
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    Stokers are not great. I have one and it's fine in the depths of winter, but it gets crazy hot at any other time. Ventilation is poor, but I'm too cheap to replace it. When I replace it, it'll most likely be with a 661 Recon.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • jimothy78
    Codfather wrote:
    Stokers are not great. I have one and it's fine in the depths of winter, but it gets crazy hot at any other time. Ventilation is poor, but I'm too cheap to replace it. When I replace it, it'll most likely be with a 661 Recon.

Great - that's the kind of feedback i was after, thanks!
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    Codfather wrote:

I find when its hot my stokers the go to helmet. My giro feature slow roasts my melon in temps above 15'.

Find the stoker much more comfortable too but prefer the looks of the feature.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    kirby700 wrote:
    Codfather wrote:

1) I find when its hot my stokers the go to helmet. My giro feature slow roasts my melon in temps above 15'.

2) Find the stoker much more comfortable too but prefer the looks of the feature.

1) Respectfully disagree, I've been overheating on even the milder days of this month in mine. Although perhaps I just have a very warm head and would die instantly in a Feature for instance. All I know is I never noticed insulation like it on my old Bell something.

2) Certainly do agree. The Stoker is incredibly comfortable, feels like it was moulded to my skull. But like a great many other things, comfort is subjective due to people having odd/different shaped brain boxes.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • Just ordered the Stoker (non MIPS version) for £34.99 from Tweeks. For that price I thought it worth giving a go. Moving on from a 5 year old Spesh Tactic so will be interested to see how it compares.
    2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw