Help with training plan

Djd3737
Djd3737 Posts: 82
Hi all,

I am riding the Maratona this year and gearing my training towards doing the best time I can. I have a few other events planned, but the Maratona is the focus, and would like some direction on how to approach this with the limited time I have each week.

The times I can get on the bike are:

Mon: Split commute, 20 minutes before and after train, so 4 x 20 minutes
Tue: 1/1.5 hours before getting kids ready for school
Wed: Split commute, 20 minutes before and after train, so 4 x 20 minutes
Thu: 1/1.5 hours before getting kids ready for school
Fri: Split commute, 20 minutes before and after train, so 4 x 20 minutes
Sat: 1.5/2 hours in the morning
Sun: 1.5/2 hours in the morning

Can extend the Sunday ride once a month or so for longer rides.

Currently all my non-commuting time on the bike is done on the turbo with Zwift (still dark this early), using a Tacx Vortex smart trainer, mainly sweetspot stuff (custom workout). I also have a few of the Sufferfest videos, but Zwift more interesting at the moment. No power when out on the road, just HR.

I am not after a full training plan, just a idea of what sort of sessions make sense given the time I have and my goal, hopefully can get some pointers

Steve

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Considering you are doing a severe Dolomite sportive, you need to read up more... plenty of resources out on the web.
    Questions you need to ask yourself in the mirror.

Where is your ability for 6 /7... hours in the saddle coming from?... where is you ability / mental toughness to cope with 15 km climbs?
    Training basics for a single event
    BASE BUILD PEAK / TAPER... DO
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    I ve done the Maratona several times and if you intend on doing the full course then your current training isnt enough for a sub 7 hour time (probably) you need a big base but that doesnt mean fannying around chatting for 5 hours and cafe stop.

Get your self a copy of the joe friels training bible and that will give you plenty of advice.

think about your gearing too and food as its difficult to eat on long steep climbs and mega fast descents, save a few gels for the Giau and Falzerego, real food up to those last efforts.
    Be aware of the cut of times to do the long course.

Its an amazing event and you ll have a ball, what ever course you decide to do.
  • Djd3737
    Thanks guys, tough questions, bit of a wake up call, yeah definitely wanting to do the full course, so in fear of the cutoff. Had a look back at some of my bigger efforts last year and these were my best efforts, not Maratona efforts but some hope:

204.5km, 6:53:56, 1,369m (group ride, 4, break in the middle)
    81.7km, 3:18:17, 2,637m (solo, no break)

As it looks like I need more time on the bike, once sunrise is earlier I can get out earlier for longer efforts, should be able to manage at least 4 hours at the weekend and maybe up to 2.5 hours Tue/Thu (will be 5am start). But other than that, will just have to make do and hope for the best.

Would something like Time-Crunched Cyclist by Carmichael Chris, have training plans to help with something like the Maratona? Or does it need to be Friel as suggested?

Good call on gearing, I run a 10sp compact 50/34 so will need to decide on cassette for use with that.

Eating is interesting, by real food do you mean bars (what I normally eat on the move) or more real?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I think I would be trying to get some big rides in at the weekend to get comfortable with spending 7 hours in the saddle. While I haven't done any Alpine sportives I have ridden in the Alps and done some pretty long rides and for me it's when you're 6 hours in that it all starts getting difficult.

I did a plan from TCTP last year ("Experienced Century" I think it was called) and can recommend it, set me in really good stead for the 3 Pistes and for some other long rides I did last year (up to 260km). Plenty of other people will also recommend it. The century plans would seem like a reasonable start but you might also want to add in some longer turbo efforts to simulate the really long Alpine climbs.

There's nothing to stop you getting both books though!
  • Djd3737
    Thanks Bob, reading Friel right now. Did a bit of research into that training plan and might not be quite enough for me, will see if I can devise anything from reading Friel first. Also good idea on the turbo thing, no climbs over a few minutes around here.

Will look into best way to simulate a mountain ascent on smart trainer, must be something "clever" with video and resistance available, have only been doing 2×25 minute sweetspot (95% if ftp) sessions at climbing cadence so far so will need to ramp up.

Steve