Maskedmike1984
Maskedmike1984 Posts: 11
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi need advice on which hardtail would be best, narrowed down to the following:
GHOST kato pro 6 2015,
CUBE LTD Pro 29 2015,
Boardman Pro 29er,
or my fav Canyon Grand Canyon AL 6.9,
All are available for around £700 to £800 mark, but as ive found out some lbs will only do the bikes att RRP :), others will charge an additional 10% so still cheaper than RRp and a few are happy to do it at Sale prices. But all of those differences makes it hard to find a Bicycle in my size 17/18"
But I'm using unfortunately Halfords C2W scheme which again eliminates certain LBS ... Spoke to Canyon who said they would supply a bike to Halfords but it would have to be invoiced/delivery address to one of there irish stores, paid via head office in euro's and then it could be changed delivery address whilst in transit via UPS to a british Halfords Store for pick up... which is great but can just see something going wrong and my bike being stuck in Ireland :( so I'm unsure of what to do...

My cycle2work voucher is for £1000 so looking at spending £700 to £800 on bike and rest on Accs, any advice on similar spec bikes that are worth a look would be greatly appreciated cheers

Comments

• Wow that is a long way round, but if you can get the bike you want. Then I guess worth it. My last company exclusively used Edinburgh Cycles to my annoyance as my LBS offered me a good deal, and advised me that you can use the voucher anywhere. But my company would not move on this. So I ended up going with them.

If your limited to Halfords, start looking at boardman.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Stick to the Boardman I think!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    With Canyon's current problems, I really wouldn't want to make it any more complicated than it already is. Boardmans and VooDoos aplenty to browse through.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • Codfather wrote:
    With Canyon's current problems, I really wouldn't want to make it any more complicated than it already is. Boardmans and VooDoos aplenty to browse through.

Canyons current problems? Wasn't aware of any. Regards Boardman its well spec"d but heard the wheels/ hubs let it down.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Do a forum search - there are plenty of mentions in other threads.

viewtopic.php?f=40028&t=13042196&p=19774209
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There are compromises on all bikes between components, most the Boardman bikes use Formula wheels, along with most Carrera's, Voodoo's and many other brands (attaching many labels to them as they go), they are reasonably light and fairly strong, like all cup and cone they benefit from being checked regularly and serviced when need.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.