Cheap Chinese Lights

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited January 2016 in Commuting chat
I know I've been quite evangelical about crappy cheap Chinese bike lights on here and I know some people disagree with me thinking I'm too precious about the working/living conditions of our fellow humans.

That's fine and just one of ethical choices. But I have just opened up the battery on the light my wife has been using as head torch as she said it has failed. It is a cheap Chinese thing.

DuffBattery.JPG

Now I'm no battery expert but I do know that short circuits aren't good news and that they're a great way of starting a fire. This is how I found the insulation on the light on removing the paper cover and the shrink film covering. I have to say that I feel pretty unconfortable to think that this has been charging overnight in my home many nights.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That is bad. The lumen/price/mah war has seen the more dodgy side of the industry cut corners and use ever poorer parts. Which makes it a bit of a lottery. There are very good lights out there at budget prices, but even the original Solar Storm has been faked with similar poor quality to this and we are seeing more of them. The 'original' magic light clone was good, but even this has been cloned and downgraded. The batteries are no doubt getting worse on some units, untested banks of old laptop cells.

I prefer the torch route, or if you know what you are doing, at least check over the cheaper lights. these have been getting some good reviews:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UniqueFire-Wa ... ed8dI2s_bg
  • I have to say that I feel pretty unconfortable to think that this has been charging overnight in my home many nights.

Have you considered buying a cheap Chinese fire/ smoke detector?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I have to say that I feel pretty unconfortable to think that this has been charging overnight in my home many nights.

Have you considered buying a cheap Chinese fire/ smoke detector?

You could recommend the place you got your wit from....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Yup, it's been a problem for a while.

Beware especially of anything that takes multiple cells, because the cells should be carefully matched (e.g. paired up with similar individual 18650 cells). Too often that part gets skipped because it takes time. Couple that with poorly paid and badly treated soldering labour and no real electrical safety laws (and it's chargers too) and I won't take the risk.

Admittedly I've seen a LiPo catch fire and I happen to charge my batteries in the utility room where the gas main enters the house.... Maybe I'm more scared than most.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.