What to use as a tyre boot?

redvee
redvee Posts: 11,922
edited January 2016 in Commuting chat
Put a hole in my tyre and it's far too good to bin for the sake of one hole so looking for something to boot it with. Rode with a £5 note to get me home.
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

Comments

• Gaffer tape?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Bin it and put it down to bad luck. The consequences of the boot failing catastrophically are, at best, a long walk home. It's just not worth it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • The Lezyne patch kit that I carry has a sticky back tyre boot included but I'd only use that to get home then I'd replace the tyre.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • Yup. Boots are strictly a "get you home at low pressure" option. You can pick up basic tyres for less than a tenner, so no real reason not to replace.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Turn it into a belt?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOfg1BPg_aA

It's a pain when it happens but it's best to suck it up.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    All but the very smallest of cuts do generally mean the tyre is toast. It is heart and wallet breaking when it's a £50 tyre that you only put on the week before (has happened to me!), but that's life.

Whatever happens, even as a get you home, make sure you put the tyre that has the boot on the back of the bike. Rear tyre failures will rarely end in disaster and expensive dental work, whereas a front tyre failure is more likely to!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    marcusjb wrote:
    It is heart and wallet breaking when it's a £50 tyre that you only put on the week before (has happened to me!), but that's life.

I've come to the conclusion the tyre is dead despite it only being 768 miles old and £35. Will leave it out on bin day and somebody will have it before the binmen do. Have asked a few people for some AU$ notes to carry around as get me home but they were on a tour so exchanged them from Au$ to NZ$ etc.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.