Which CX/gravel/adventure bike?

mw22
mw22 Posts: 78
edited January 2016 in Commuting chat
Been commuting on a Focus Mares Disc since around 2010 - having racked up about 25,000 miles and still on some original parts (albeit not many) I'm after a refresh.....
The CX has been pretty good for my 11ish miles each way on a mix of road, hardened gravel & a few drops.

So what with the new host of terms for these cross purpose bikes that have made an ideal commuter - after some suggestions on what else to look at.

Spec;
Circa £1k
Weight 9kg-ish would be ideal.
Kit - Shimano 105ish level (happy to run compact or CX chainset). Only ever had shimano shifters
Brakes - Discs must. Not fussed on mech or hydraulic. Mech are nice and easy to adjust for me... though appreciate hyrdaulic are superior.
Geometry - not to fussy. Don't want it too relaxed, have the flexibility to cope. Tho don't want to be chewing a stem as 50% of journey in traffic
Frame - Alu is fine
Tyres - Will run 28mm Conti 4 Seasons. So that clearance a must

So few I've found....
Canyon inflite Al 9.0. £1,100 ish
Already got canyon TT and wife has an earlier road bike from them - so comfortable with the online ordering aspect.

Rose pro dx cross. £1,020 once i've swapped a few bits.
Nice and customisable

Planet x XLS £999
Carbon, but SRAM.

Pinnacle Arkose 3 2016 £1,000
Hydraulics... but lower spec kit elsewhere.

So - what else can I throw in the mix... and any comments on the above?

Think... Rose is currently top of list.
Cheers
Mike
Road: Kuota Kebel
TT: Canyon Speedmax
Work: Norco search

Comments

• ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mw22
    Where do you see the planet x 25% stuff?

I did look at that Pinnacle - the finishing kit and some of the other spec put me off. The model I mentioned I was also a bit unsure on.
    The worst thing I've had on the Focus was an FSA BB - was an absolute PITA and I've trashed the frame around the BB because of it. So without being brand snobby... kinda want to know what the components and finishing kit are like.
    A nice bright frame would prob suit a commute better than the normal stealth blacks mind.

Anymore please.....
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I have the ultegra/hydraulic Canyon Inflite. It's lovely
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    The Planet X is a very nice bike for the money - I have 3, and with the right kit they build up well under 8kg. Big downside for commuting is that there's no easy way to mount mudguards.

My commuting bike is built around a Kinesis Pro6 frame, and I can't fault it.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • mw22
    Mudguards isnt a deal breaker for me.
    Currently on the rear I just have something attached to the seat post and I don't run a front one (tho I probably should).

Lighter would be nicer so I'll re-visit planet x. I'm weighing in sub 70kg, so not looking to drag any extra weight around if I can.

Thanks for comments so far :)
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    mw22 wrote:
    A nice bright frame would prob suit a commute better than the normal stealth blacks mind.
    TGOTB wrote:
    My commuting bike is built around a Kinesis Pro6 frame, and I can't fault it.

23894204393_8605f6533e_z.jpg

I'm a big fan of my Pro6. 35mm tyres, full guards, discs... it's an ideal commuting machine.
  • mw22 wrote:

The 25% discount is applied in the basket.

Not sure if that specific bike link is working, try this one linking high-low prices.
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/deals/stoc ... PXliquid25
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mw22
    mw22 wrote:

The 25% discount is applied in the basket.

Not sure if that specific bike link is working, try this one linking high-low prices.
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/deals/stoc ... PXliquid25

Oh ... thats cheap!!!

Proper confused now.. any comments on the wheelsets available - none seem particularly ideal as a commuter option - but depsites the weights of the wheels, overall weight is impressive.

Thanks for heads up (and confusing me!!)
  • It might not be as light as you were hoping but I like the simplicity of the groupset, best of both world disc brakes, mudguard eyelets if required, gravel bike geometry, giving a suitable commuting position.

(lifetime warranty on frame & forks too), they are made in the same factory as the lapierre bikes

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/ProductRange/Product/Default.aspx?pc=1&pt=14&pg=15776

MUE52GY.jpg
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    ovi wrote:

I just bought my gf the Sportif 1.1 LE 2015 for £910, only left in a size 58 now, but mostly 105 5800 11spd, and critically RS685 brakes and associated (Ultegra quality?) shifters.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/sportif-11-le-2015-road-bike-ec108532
    This years model can be had for £1100:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/sportif-11-2016-road-bike-ec120527

Check if your workplace has any loyalty discount things, mine has a reward scheme, and I was able to buy a 'gift' card (As I did for my winter bike) at 10% less than face value - ie her bike cost me £819, which I thought was a stunning deal.

Review of the 2015 bike here (And that's at the RRP of £1300:
    http://road.cc/content/review/147424-fuji-sportif-11-ltd-road-bike

Oh and my own bike, which I rather like, is a Cannondale Synapse Adventure - 2015.
    Love the fitted colour coded metal guards - only thing I did not like was the silver wheels, but have changed them for some 1650g Pro Lite Revo's.
    Also going to be fitting some carbon bars and stem to it in due course too - already had them in the parts bin.
    Ignoring the adventure, there are some nice Synapse models out there with disc brakes that would make a perfectly good bike, I was nearly tempted by the blue 105 model, but it had mechanical discs, and was still £1000.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Have a look at a GT Grade.
  • mw22 wrote:
    The worst thing I've had on the Focus was an FSA BB - was an absolute PITA and I've trashed the frame around the BB because of it.
    Why didn't you just use a different BB?
  • mw22
    mw22 wrote:
    The worst thing I've had on the Focus was an FSA BB - was an absolute PITA and I've trashed the frame around the BB because of it.
    Why didn't you just use a different BB?

I did... but it took a few BB failures and painful removals of the FSA ones before I realised I could - swapped the whole lot to shimano and things were much better - tho the frames still a mess :roll:

Nothing offered via my work.... doubt there ever will be!

The Fuji is interesting... maybe not that model, getting a little heavy - but expanding to Sportif bikes if they are also taking the 28mm + discs etc.

One of wiggles brands may also be an option... http://www.wiggle.co.uk/eastway-balun-c1-105-2016/ if I can get over the colour scheme (thats purple not black!!). With discount its coming in at under £970 for full 105 + hydraulics! Shame about the BB :cry: