Training and alcohol

nicklong
nicklong Posts: 231
So, I feel like I've become a tee-totaler by accident. I do almost all of my training in the evening, and as such I avoid drinking at dinner as it would leave me feeling too tired on the trainer afterwards. Likewise, I don't drink afterwards as I don't want to screw up recovery. Training 4-5 days a week basically leaves sunday night to have a glass of wine.

I'm surrounded by wine and have a decent whiskey collection gathering dust since I started racing bikes...

Am I the only fool thinking this way or is alcohol and training mutually exclusive?

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    you can enjoy more than one glass a week. I am on my second. I will ride tomorrow too. the wine won't affect me. overding regularly will but you are not doing that.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    you can enjoy more than one glass a week. I am on my second. I will ride tomorrow too. the wine won't affect me. overding regularly will but you are not doing that.

I'd hope so!

I suppose a more succinct question would be, how much does alcohol affect training response and recovery?
    (I don't have a weight problem, so any extra calories are actually welcome)
  • Whiskey or whisky?

If it's Irish whiskey, then yes, don't bother. But if they're Scotch single malts, it's rude to neglect them, and you should donate them to me without delay.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Only on Bike Radar could a thread like this exist
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Only on Bike Radar could a sad person like me exist

FTFY
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I'd never dream of drinking anything /before/ training and would avoid doing so within an hour or so afterwards, but IMO a small glass of wine or a single beer with a meal later on isn't going to do much harm. Doubtless if you are a pro and hunting marginal gains you would avoid this, but it certainly isn't going to wipe out the benefits of the training or anything. Just make sure you also drink plenty of water to replace fluids.
  • Personally after drinking for the full two weeks I had off over Christmas I've stayed off the Beers this Jan. I've noticed I've lost weight and feel a lot fresher pre, during and post rides. I've also started eating more fruit and veg and reduced the sugar in tea/coffee etc.

I used to be of the opinion that as long as I ride I can eat and drink what I want, but I do now think you have have to give your body the "goodness" to help recovery.

I'll still be drinking in 2016, but just less.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    It will have an effect you just have to listen to your body and accept drinking lowers performance if you are training to a high standard.