Upgrading from my Altus groupset.

EVichare
EVichare Posts: 2
edited January 2016 in The workshop
Mechanics, please help!

For my commute I use a 2014 Kona Splice which has a Shimano Altus 8 speed triple groupset. The gears are pretty sloppy compared to what I'm used to with my weekend bikes, and I'm looking for a reasonably priced upgrade. I've seen the Deore 9 speed triple groupset on Chain Reaction Cycles which is well priced.

My concern is the change in cassette size. Is it straightforward to upgrade to a 9sp Deore groupset, taking account for the width of the frame at the back? Also, the groupset options talk about bolt circles and different front mech sizes. I don't know what a bolt circle is, or what size front mech would be needed!

Hopefully someone out there on the interwubs can help! :D

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A 9 speed cassette is the same width as an 8 speed, so it will fit without issues.

Front mech size relates to the diameter of the seat tube it bolts round, an aftermarket Shimano part will be 34.9 with shims for 31.8 and 28.6mm, they are the standard sizes and cover 99% of bikes.

Bolt Circle Diameter (BCD) relates to the chainwheel mounting to the cranks, as you'll be buying a groupset with them already fitted you'll only need to know that if you ever need to change the chainwheels!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Have you replaced the cables? A well-tuned Altus should shift reasonably crisply...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.