Tall newbie introducing myself and a question.

PeninsulaAdam
PeninsulaAdam Posts: 3
edited January 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi all

Moved up to South West Scotland around 3 months ago and took up mountain biking as soon as I got here and have definitely caught the bug.
First off I am quite tall at 6ft9 with a 36 inside leg the bike and just a touch over 20 stone.
I have currently is a Merida big 7 40 with a 21.5" frame and as a starter bike it has got me up and running but am starting to think about what to do next in regards to upgrading the Merida or saving for a new bike?.
Don't feel 100% comfortable on the Merida and as I am getting more confidence on the trails notice things I do not like especially the brakes as even after a service last week they seem to be all or nothing and kind of just grab at me.
Being my size would a 29er be the way to go?
If I was to look for a new bike my budget would be around the 750-1000 mark.

Any help is appreciated as I know I have a lot to learn.

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wheel size doesn't change the relationship of the contact points (pedals, saddle, grips), that said larger wheels do make taller riders feel more secure as the larger wheel moves the contact point of the tyre with trail features ((bumps) further ahead of there c of G.

At your height you probably need an XXL, like a 23" frame, I ride with someone 6'8", I'd start by looking at somewhere like Pauls cycles and see if they have any XXL on decent offer.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    The Rookie wrote:
    Wheel size doesn't change the relationship of the contact points (pedals, saddle, grips), that said larger wheels do make taller riders feel more secure as the larger wheel moves the contact point of the tyre with trail features ((bumps) further ahead of there c of G.

At your height you probably need an XXL, like a 23" frame, I ride with someone 6'8", I'd start by looking at somewhere like Pauls cycles and see if they have any XXL on decent offer.

Welcome!

Yeah, as Rookie said, sometimes you can find great bargains on 'funny' (usually XS/S or XXL) frame bikes !
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try a few frames out, even just an L - I have a 35 inch inside leg, and comfortably fit on an 18inch Zaskar - but I have a short upper body and arms. Reach is important.
  • Thanks a lot for the responses it's appreciated and has given me a base to start from. Will size my self up on a few frames and see how they feel. For my budget am I best of sticking with a hard tail or should I look to go full suspension will mainly be riding at my local trail centre for the foreseeable future at least.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    With your weight you may find 29" wheels a bit wobbly/flexible so may be better off with 27.5.......just a thought.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some good entry level full sussers at this price point, so I wouldn't limit yourself to just hardtails, though the latter will be proportionally higher specced.

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p83240/GT-Ver ... -Bike.aspx

Some good, workable kit on there, though you'd need a stiffer spring in the fork at point of sale.