hello, Newbie from scotland

kenyanscott
kenyanscott Posts: 26
edited January 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi everyone,

Noob here.

Well, I have some experience, I did some trails round glentress, Carron valley and I am lucky enough to stay 5 mins away from Cathkin braes mountain bike track.

I used to g round on a really crap bike, it was a £120 from Halfords and it wasnt really doing the trick, so I moved house and decided to invest in a new bike and chuck the old one out.

I had to think about affordability so I got myself a diamondback Decent 29er on an 18" frame (I know the hardcore members will not see this as a step up or a good bike, Ill upgrade eventually)

Not been out yet, since only got it last night, no lights, no puncture repair kits etc.. so will get that over the coming days.

Im wondering about a couple of things

spare tube/tyre - this is a 29er and the tyres I have are shwalbe 2.4 29" tubeless - what would be a good spare to carry around?
I want to join a club but one of the requirements is you need to have a spare, and I don't know what to get!

What else should I carry in my backpack? or should I consider just getting a bag for the saddle? I had a camel pack before which seems like a sensible option - but I know I know I need a multitool, but is the tritool okay or do I need something a bit more versatile?

What do I do interms of a puncture repair kit? - is it different because its tubeless - this is the first time ive had tubeless tyres and dont want to get the wrong thing!

Is there anything else I need to consider taking/purchasing?

look forward to the replies!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Are they set up tubeless (unlikely) or just are tubeless capable? You just need a 29er tube with the right valve for the width of your tyre!

I use a hydration pack, with fluids, tube and a few spare tools.

Light - check out the 'solar storm' on ebay, superb value.

If its running tubeless and flats and won't seal, you unseat the tyre, remove the valve and fit a tube after checking for debris (thorns etc) that could puncture the tube, there may be a LOT!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Pump and some tyre levers would help... with tubes, as above a spare tube, with the right valve to fit 29x2.4

Personally I just carry 2 different appopriatley sized allen keys (check your bike incase its got any other size bolts) and a stubby screwdriver instead of a multi tool, this covers most road side repairs youd want to undertake when out and about.

Also a quick link and chain tool is a handy thing to have if chain snaps.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Carron Valley was where I spent my youth. Used to be where primatives lived and now it is very up market. My aunt owned the Clachan Inn in Fintry!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • My every ride pack includes..

Puncture repair kit
    Couple spare tyre levers.
    Pump
    Shock pump. (Though I'm pretty decided on fork pressure now, so may take it out.)
    Set of Alan keys from 2-10mm
    Spare tube in case the worst happens.
    Basic crappy multi tool for the screwdriver bits.

All this is housed in a backpack which also holds phone, drink and any 'recreational supplies'
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    The Rookie wrote:

if you are going to cathkin, its probably advisable :lol: