OK with clipless but new to MTB

nickbotfield
nickbotfield Posts: 68
edited January 2016 in MTB beginners
I've been riding clipless pedals (Speedplays) on the road for a good couple of years now but I've only just acquired my first mountain bike at the age of 35! My question is do you think it's worth learning the sort of bike handling skills I'd need on a mountain bike using flats to start with, or should I go straight for clipless from the start?

My concern is that clipless on a road bike is fairly straightforward, just the ocassional unclip at lights and suchlike. I'd imagine off road riding might require a lot more putting my feet down to begin with, and given that I'm not experienced riding off road, would clipless be a step too far at the start?

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I ride exclusively flats but have tried clipless and didn't have any problems - it's easy enough to unclip if you have to.

Most silly falls seem to forgetting to unclip, so if you are comfortable with them go for it.

And welcome to the light.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Welcome to the fun side of cycling....

You'll be fine riding clipless.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    I don't do much road riding anymore but always ride clippless

When I started mountain biking I rode clipless but converted to flats quite quickly (I was amazed how grippy good flats can be). I just don't like being clipped in, off road.

So try clipless and flats and see what works for you.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    rode clipless for 20 years never had an issue with clipping out off road or causing a crash.
  • daflj
    daflj Posts: 20
    I've been riding clipless pedals (Speedplays) on the road for a good couple of years now but I've only just acquired my first mountain bike at the age of 35! My question is do you think it's worth learning the sort of bike handling skills I'd need on a mountain bike using flats to start with, or should I go straight for clipless from the start?

My concern is that clipless on a road bike is fairly straightforward, just the ocassional unclip at lights and suchlike. I'd imagine off road riding might require a lot more putting my feet down to begin with, and given that I'm not experienced riding off road, would clipless be a step too far at the start?

What are your thoughts?

I'm in a similar mindset Nick re: the more frequent unclipping, and also ride Speedplay on the road - but I have just bought some Speedplay Frogs and they seem to be pretty easy to use so I'm going to start going for it on the MTB
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    clip out when you stop just like a road bike.