• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,568
    Sep's gonna sit out Omloop and KBK.

Wants to be fresher come April.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    Sep's gonna sit out Omloop and KBK.

Wants to be fresher come April.

I seem to recall he was complaining he was knackered by April last year. Although it doesn't bode well if he can't hack a full cobbled season...
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Sep did seem to ride the most out of all the favourites to be fair, none of the Quickstep chiefs rode the likes of Strada Bianche did they? And Cancellara, Sagan etc sat out of the opening weekend. Maybe less is more? I hope this approach works for him
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    Sep did seem to ride the most out of all the favourites to be fair, none of the Quickstep chiefs rode the likes of Strada Bianche did they? And Cancellara, Sagan etc sat out of the opening weekend. Maybe less is more? I hope this approach works for him
    I think a problem that Vanmarcke has is that he doesn't have a second string to his bow to keep him useful for the rest of the season. His year is really the cobbled classics and little else so he is almost obliged to give every one his all. This is compounded by his team having little in the way of winning cards to play throughout the year.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    He was running fairly hot in early March last year so figures.
  • Sep did seem to ride the most out of all the favourites to be fair, none of the Quickstep chiefs rode the likes of Strada Bianche did they? And Cancellara, Sagan etc sat out of the opening weekend. Maybe less is more? I hope this approach works for him

Sagan is riding Omloop this year, conversely.

On a different note, I owe FJS an apology. The road at the bottom of the Molenberg is a road no longer. It is now a hole in the ground with roadbuilding machinery parked all over it that I had to hike a bike through on Saturday. Molenberg is closed from the bottom.

Apparently, It wont be done in time for Omloop but it's still on the advertised route for De Ronde.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Spotted Devolder, Theuns and a couple of other Trek riders near Oudenaarde this morning. Twitter tells me they did Kwaremont, Paterberg and Koppenberg for some promo stuff. In January. In the snow grim
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    Spotted Devolder, Theuns and a couple of other Trek riders near Oudenaarde this morning. Twitter tells me they did Kwaremont, Paterberg and Koppenberg for some promo stuff. In January. In the snow grim

Like devolder minds.
  • rick_chasey
    So sounds like (from Boonen interview) that Martin is having a Cancellara moment and is 'looking for something new' and after his Tour win, he's gong to go after the classics this year.
  • rick_chasey
    Lefevre doesn't do a good job convincing the interviewer that he deep he didn't feel Cav is past it...
  • So sounds like (from Boonen interview) that Martin is having a Cancellara moment and is 'looking for something new' and after his Tour win, he's gong to go after the classics this year.

That's good Quick Step really need some more chiefs for the classics

@gietvangent
  • So sounds like (from Boonen interview) that Martin is having a Cancellara moment and is 'looking for something new' and after his Tour win, he's gong to go after the classics this year.

That's good Quick Step really need some more chiefs for the classics

:lol:
  • Good interview on the Sporza website with Benoot and Wellens

Benoot targeting Flanders this year but wants to see how he goes in Roubaix too. Wants to ride a grand tour at some stage but it won't be this year (he hadn't ridden a col until the Dauphine last year), he thinks it improves you as a rider. His studies are on hold until after the classics, then he'll reduce his programme a bit to finish.

Wellens says he's going to ride the Giro but not for GC, although he's not ruling out riding Grand Tour for a place altogether. Thinks he may still be too young to win Liege but wants to win a race like GP Wallonie this year. To finish his degree, he just has to turn in a dissertation by January 25th.

Both agree that Lotto is the best place for them, they get chances in races and Benoot says he's never just had to ride on the front all day like he would be doing if he went pro at Quick Step (ouch!)

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    Fair.
  • Lotto are rapidly gaining traction as my favourite team.

I like the classics team but all Wellens and Gallopin when it comes to stage racing.

I am not sure this will be the spring for Benoot to win one of the monuments but a semi-classic could be within his reach.
  • FJS wrote:
    Meanwhile, training camps, Dutch style. (always classy...)

CVfMz5eW4AAv1M4.png:large

(beer in bidons)
    That's from a spoof video the team did of their 'training camp' at a Roompot holiday camp. The whole video seriously makes me want to avoid going on a Roompot holiday

Always Europcamp.

Or Vacansoleil.
  • FJS wrote:
    Meanwhile, training camps, Dutch style. (always classy...)

CVfMz5eW4AAv1M4.png:large

(beer in bidons)
    That's from a spoof video the team did of their 'training camp' at a Roompot holiday camp. The whole video seriously makes me want to avoid going on a Roompot holiday

Always Europcamp.

Or Vacansoleil.
  • Massive quadruple post disaster :o
  • Massive quadruple post disaster :o

Since the shmazing forum changes yday, you getting misleading error messages when you try to post, so you post again?
  • thats what happened :(
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    So, anyone want to stick their neck out and say who they think will have the best (flat) classics season?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ^ Sagan. With the Degenkolb and Kristoff breakthroughs, he's no longer the one man they won't want to take to the finish. This scenario also improves that chances of Sep slipping away for some big wins, but he'll probably snap a stem.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • rick_chasey
    It'll be one of those transition years without any one head and shoulders above.

Bit like 2007: MSR: Freire, Flanders: Balan, PR: O'Grady
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    It'll be one of those transition years without any one head and shoulders above.

I'd go with that. Which makes it a strange year for Thomas to decide he wants to try and win GTs, IMO.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:

I'd go with that. Which makes it a strange year for Thomas to decide he wants to try and win GTs, IMO.

Le sigh
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Poor guy was born in the wrong country where it makes more (long-term) financial sense to chase Olympic glory (sic) and Tour exposure.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Milton50 wrote:
    So, anyone want to stick their neck out and say who they think will have the best (flat) classics season?
    Edward Theuns for Roubaix.

Vanmarcke the Ronde.

:wink:

Remember where you read it first.
  • Milton50 wrote:
    Edward Theuns for Roubaix.

Vanmarcke the Ronde.

:wink:

Remember where you read it first.

Aren't you forgetting a rather big part of the Theuns calculation?

@gietvangent
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Really hoping T.Martin has a fair crack at the cobbles.

Would love to see him a small gap through P-R would be tremendous viewing if he can get the power down. Could be exactly what we are after post Fabs and Boonen.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.