Garmin Vector on turbo?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited January 2016 in Road general
Is there any reason why a Vector peddle would give an inaccurate reading when used on a turbo (Tacx Flo). Is there anyway of checking if the peddle is working properly other than trying another one? Compared to use on the road the wattage seems low for the amount of effort im using and my heartrate. Its low compared to the Tacx read out but ive read they are not accurate.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    Is there any reason why a Vector peddle would give an inaccurate reading when used on a turbo (Tacx Flo). Is there anyway of checking if the peddle is working properly other than trying another one? Compared to use on the road the wattage seems low for the amount of effort im using and my heartrate. Its low compared to the Tacx read out but ive read they are not accurate.

It's probably low because turbos are harder work than the road 300W on a turbo is agony for me 300w on a road just hurts a bit. Never had a problem with mine.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    It's possible there's some interference from somewhere (how stable does the power trace look on whatever tool you might be using to capture it?)

But, it might also be a function of riding the turbo - perceived effort, temperature, the way the load is delivered etc. Can you calibrate a Tacx Flo? I found my Fortius pretty accurate provided I calibrated it before each session. My Neo matches my Stages well but you don't need to calibrate the Neo.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Yes you can calibrate a Tacx flow and you should before every session.

My experience is that if it isn't calibrated it just feels so much harder, whilst 300W is still 300W, the smoothness of the turbo seems to make the RPE a lot higher.

Tacx power vx Stages power is also way out. I pay no attention to the power on the Tacx.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    You might fight the following interesting...

viewtopic.php?f=40011&t=13042828
  • Is there any reason why a Vector peddle would give an inaccurate reading when used on a turbo (Tacx Flo). Is there anyway of checking if the peddle is working properly other than trying another one? Compared to use on the road the wattage seems low for the amount of effort im using and my heartrate. Its low compared to the Tacx read out but ive read they are not accurate.

It's probably low because turbos are harder work than the road 300W on a turbo is agony for me 300w on a road just hurts a bit. Never had a problem with mine.

300W is 300W.

If we were talking speed, then yes holding 20mph on the turbo in most cases in more difficult than 20mph on the road. But not power. The whole point of power is that power is power.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

300W is 300W.

If we were talking speed, then yes holding 20mph on the turbo in most cases in more difficult than 20mph on the road. But not power. The whole point of power is that power is power.

Completely correct. If you ever wanted to see if you pedals are giving the correct data readings stick them on a bike with another power meter to compare. I have known people put them on a wattbike and compared the output. All a turbo does is offer resistance. You could whack up the difficulty to simulate wind or a climb but its how much power you need to counter that resistance will be the same on the road or a turbo.
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    It would be interesting to do a proper comparison over the course of an hour on the bike vs an hour on the turbo; I suspect that outdoors, you probably don't realise how often you rest, freewheel etc. So whilst your 5 minute power might be better outdoors, the protocol might be different (versus 5 mind indoors after a solid 10 minute warmup with no stopping). Or, it could be that the trainer encouraged you to pedal in circles more than outdoors which is calling up other muscle groups which have been underused outside.

"Power seems low compared to effort and heart rate" - indeed, this is why power is such a useful metric over RPE and HR which are variable and/or subjective over time!
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    I experienced something very similar a few years back with a tacx flow and a powertap. The watts shown from the powertap whilst on the flow were much, much lower than the effort and heart rate suggested. Never got to the bottom of it ended up selling the flow. Even easy intervals like tempo were incredibly hard on the flow compared to the same outdoors.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    when you are on the turbo you are probably (or definitely if you are anything like me) much hotter than you are outside, this will artificially increase your heart rate for the same intensity of activity.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes