Now

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited January 2016 in Pro race
The season starts. TFFT!!!

Wilderness ends.

CX is no longer the poor alternative.

Days become shorter.

Trolls go back into hiding until Paris Nice at least.

Joy.

Comments

• Yes, they've certainly nailed the coverage this year.
    Three static cameras instead of two.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • joelsim
    Yeah, it's possibly the least informative piece of TV I've ever seen.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    edited January 2016
    Do you think Andy might win this ?
    He sounds desperate enough.

I will answer myself after stage 4 he lost 3 mins to put him 18th overall
    GC 18 Andrew Talansky (USA) Cannondale Pro Cycling 0:03:45
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • The season starts. TFFT!!!

Wilderness ends.

Days become shorter.

Joy.

Christ on a bike, what did you do until you discovered watching bike racing, Joel?
  • Blimey February 27th came round quick!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • joelsim

Wilderness ends.

Days become shorter.

Joy.

Christ on a bike, what did you do until you discovered watching bike racing, Joel?

I didn't work from home then! I was a busy Ad Exec who didn't have afternoons to fill.
  • deejay

Wilderness ends.

Days become shorter.

Joy.

I think it's the days are getting longer with today, 34 minutes longer than a month ago.
    In day's gone by, cycling clubs had a Social Season (October to Xmas) for their Dinner/Dances and Prize Presentations and midweek play in their cycling club "Darts Leagues", or maybe Racing on Rollers League.
    Then on Sunday's they would meet up for a "Pub Crawl" through the countryside or watch, or maybe organise a cyclocross event or the local hill climbs.
    So plenty to do with NO "Off Time" and then Post Xmas it became more serious with 100+ mile rides.
    In South London they were "Coast Bashes" and in January you could be part of 80/100 riders sprinting (with Elbows) into Brighton regularly.
    We didn't have much TV sport to complain about, Just lots of beer and bike riding.
  • The season starts. TFFT!!!

Wilderness ends.

Days become shorter.

Joy.

I think it's the days are getting longer with today, 34 minutes longer than a month ago.
    In day's gone by, cycling clubs had a Social Season (October to Xmas) for their Dinner/Dances and Prize Presentations and midweek play in their cycling club "Darts Leagues", or maybe Racing on Rollers League.
    Then on Sunday's they would meet up for a "Pub Crawl" through the countryside or watch, or maybe organise a cyclocross event or the local hill climbs.
    So plenty to do with NO "Off Time" and then Post Xmas it became more serious with 100+ mile rides.
    In South London they were "Coast Bashes" and in January you could be part of 80/100 riders sprinting (with Elbows) into Brighton regularly.
    We didn't have much TV sport to complain about, Just lots of beer and bike riding.

I remember when this were all fields.
  • deejay

I remember when this were all fields.
    You must be talking about all those roundabouts they built and called them Milton Keynes.
    Remember in the mid 1970's driving home at night from our Coventry HQ and wondering what all the lights were in those fields near the M1 motorway that I had previously enjoyed riding a bike through.
  • Actual moving pictures tonight.
    They even have a helicopter.............
  • Actual moving pictures tonight.
    They even have a helicopter.............

There was certainly some of that last night, though TTT mot the most inspired watch from the angle they filmed at IMO.

Tonight though the highlight was the mariachi band and 5 shapely dancers, albeit with no music being broadcast. If only Carlton Kirby was mic'd up to pass comment...
  • Gaviria had time to look around at the rest of the "sprinters", it was that easy.
    Now, all they need is a second camera bike and maybe the commentators wouldn't be left floundering when the bunch appears on the breakaway's ar*e.
  • The time gaps given on twitter seemed a load of mince too. 2 mins before the peloton appeared at that corner a tweet popped up saying the break had 1m30s with 6k to go.

TdSL is in a perfect slot, perfect fodder for pre-season, such as it is. If this was on in Jul-Oct window it would be an irrelevance. They are the feast for Pro Cycling's 3 month famine.
  • The time gaps given on twitter seemed a load of mince too. 2 mins before the peloton appeared at that corner a tweet popped up saying the break had 1m30s with 6k to go.

TdSL is in a perfect slot, perfect fodder for pre-season, such as it is. If this was on in Jul-Oct window it would be an irrelevance. They are the feast for Pro Cycling's 3 month famine.

Yet the TV production values are more akin to a bag of stale wotsits than a feast
  • deejay
    Go on, the Boy done good.

Peter Koning scored a huge victory for the Drapac Pro Continental team, winning stage 3 of the Tour de San Luis in La Punta in spectacular style. The 25-year-old neo pro made the day long breakaway, and then left his three companions behind to solo to victory with ample time to celebrate his achievement.
    1 Peter Koning (Ned) Drapac Professional Cycling 3:08:41
    2 Fernando Gaviria Rendon (Col) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:01:37
    3 Travis Mccabe (USA) Holowesko / Citadel p/b Hincapie Sportswear
    4 Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff Team
    5 Mauro Abel Richeze (Arg) San Luis Somos Todos
  • Although the live feed and camera work were poor, it has to be said that they have made a far better effort to cover the race this year.
    The improvement yesterday was the extra camera bike, so they had shots of both Koning and the chasing bunch.
    The director switching to the right camera at the right time.................that was a different matter, though.
  • deejay
    Very True
    I lost the plot several times until the Helio shows the mountain views and the gaps.
    Still it helps with identifying all these new team kits to get used to as a peloton.
  • I love being back up and running...

"Feeel the rush of wheels in motionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

ITS THE TOUR DOWN UNDER..."

Terrible song.
  • Tour of San Luis now rolling out live, so it's whole stage coverage (of sorts) to the 1700m MTF.
    Coverage here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG4Eayx ... e=youtu.be

Feed alternates between HD and No D.
  • joelsim
    Wtf is this coverage? Maps and static ads
  • Joelsim wrote:
    Wtf is this coverage? Maps and static ads

Dunno.
    It was all live earlier, with heli and camera bike pictures, although the heli was actually closer to the action than the camera bikes.
    Maybe Carlton Kirby is the race director? :lol:
  • joelsim
    Maybe Maradona has stolen the camera.
  • Seems as if when they needed to get things right, they got it all wrong.
    Doesn't look as if there will be much, if any coverage of the first MTF stage.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Looking at rocks and people wandering around really cures pro cycling starvation. :roll:

Funny Spanish.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • joelsim
    It does indeed look as if the 1947 Sikorsky they bought from the Nigerian Navy is working again.
  • They seem to have sorted it in time for the climb, which should be soon.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    I reckon that if oil wasn't less than $30 a barrel, we wouldn't even get the heli shots.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • joelsim
    Pinno wrote:
    I reckon that if oil wasn't less than $30 a barrel, we wouldn't even get the heli shots.

Probably right.

It's the first race of the season, if they actually put a good production on they could turn this into a huge race and at the same time sell the rights.

Alas.