Worth joining British Cycling?

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited June 2017 in Road beginners
I'm thinking about signing up with British Cycling on the 'Ride' tier of membership. It's £35 annually. Of particular interest to me would be the Liability Insurance and Legal Assistance in case I cause damage to someone's property whilst out cycling.

However, I also need to buy cycle insurance for my bikes and this would usually include such cover as an option at least.

Hence, is BC membership worth it?

Comments

• You also get 10% off at halfords with BC, plus you can enter BC sportives and reliability runs.

Depends on what your going to do.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Its worth it for the legal cover alone if you cycle a lot or especially if you commute.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I looked at this last year and decided on CTC instead.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    fyi all.. especially those new to cycling...
    BC does not actually 'organise' anything in this life .. it is really down to the affiliated cycling clubs and their hard pressed legion of VOLUNTEERS to do all the hard work as regards events/races.
    The liability cover is ok but there are alternatives as much like there are private companies organising sportives outside the remit of the BCF.
    Pays your money takes your choice.
  • llu02
    llu02 Posts: 29
    I need to subscribe it because that the requirement of the club
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I need to subscribe it because that the requirement of the club

Cycling Nazis - I'd join another club mate! :wink:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Definitely worth it imo, just for the third party insurance cover and the race license, just have a look through at their different memberships and see if it's worth it for you though
  • I joined after my accident in Nov 2014. they passed me onto their lawyers (leigh day i think) and they handled everything for me. i have also made more than my money back with Chain Reaction and Halfords discounts in the last few years so i am more than happy with it.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Halfords and Wiggle (now Chainreaction) discounts are handy. Third party liability insurance worth having, I have actually been claimed against by another cyclist who crashed into the back of the motorbike he was riding behind and took me down in the process (I couldn't avoid him as he fell into my path so I suppose I was at fault...).

They don't have their own solicitors though, just a referral arrangement. You could just give Leigh Day etc a ring yourself and get the same deal. Nice option to have someone take care of it for you though I suppose.

Main benefit for me is getting a race licence, the restis all just nice to have.
  • rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    Quick question for those who have BC membership. I'm thinking of taking out the middle-tier membership (called British Cycling Ride membership). This includes third-party liability cover.

If a driver hits me when I'm cycling and damages me and/or my bike, could I use the included liability insurance and legal support to get my bike fixed and/or pay for my medical treatment?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Third party liability cover is exactly that, as in cover to protect you against your liability to a third party. I think what you are looking for is legal/accident cover. Worth checking the policy bullet points unless someone can clarify quickly...
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Hmm, i still havnt got round to anything like this. First ride of the year saw me come off in the dark due to a road defect, the road had kind of sank and was like hitting a kurb in the middle of the road...

Currently trying to claim off the council for that one.

But my understanding of third party insurance is that you yourself are not covered, but if you damage someone/something else thats what is covered. So not sure it would have helped in my case.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Hmm, i still havnt got round to anything like this. First ride of the year saw me come off in the dark due to a road defect, the road had kind of sank and was like hitting a kurb in the middle of the road...

But my understanding of third party insurance is that you yourself are not covered, but if you damage someone/something else thats what is covered. So not sure it would have helped in my case.

Yes, third party liability insurance covers you if somebody (a third party) claims against you for damage that you have caused to them / their possessions. Could be if you knock someone over, scratch their car, damage their bike etc. What you seem to want is first party insurance i.e. cover for damage to yourself / your bike. Pretty sure you don't get that with BC. What you do get is legal support, which means that they can pass your details to a suitable solicitor who will then assist with any legal claim you might wish to make, usually on a no win no fee basis (but that will depend on the facts of the case).
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198

Yes, third party liability insurance covers you if somebody (a third party) claims against you for damage that you have caused to them / their possessions. Could be if you knock someone over, scratch their car, damage their bike etc. What you seem to want is first party insurance i.e. cover for damage to yourself / your bike. Pretty sure you don't get that with BC. What you do get is legal support, which means that they can pass your details to a suitable solicitor who will then assist with any legal claim you might wish to make, usually on a no win no fee basis (but that will depend on the facts of the case).

Is this different to CTC then ? - who have been known to take on cases for injured cyclists and get them compensation ?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think the CTC and BC are similar in terms of cover with the exception that the CTC has an affiliated solicitor (which you can use but are under no obligation to). You are covered for legal expenses in support of a claim but that is slightly different to specific insurance itself. The BC cover (albeit that the cover varies depending on the level selected) is legal cover but without a specific lawyer in mind, AFAIK.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    There is a code out there for British Cycling, was from the Cycle Scheme somewhere if you've not joined yet, gives you 25% off the first year.

I'd recommend it - I joined 6 months after an accident, but have saved more than what I paid out via savings through Halfords & CRC.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • daflj
    daflj Posts: 20
    I save more each year at Halford's than the cost of the BC membership
  • rumbataz wrote:
    Quick question for those who have BC membership. I'm thinking of taking out the middle-tier membership (called British Cycling Ride membership). This includes third-party liability cover.

If a driver hits me when I'm cycling and damages me and/or my bike, could I use the included liability insurance and legal support to get my bike fixed and/or pay for my medical treatment?

If my understanding is correct...

In the example you gave the cyclist would claim via the drivers 3rd party insurance (a legal requirement for the driver). The benefits of having 3rd party liability through BC cover is if you hit a car and they want reimbersment etc.

What you need to take into consideration is that if you caused an accident whilst not being insured on the bike (hit a car, hit a pedestrian, lost control and went through a garden fence etc etc) would you be able to afford the car repairs, the pedestrians daily care fees after they were paralysed, or even just the fence panel?!

Don't take my word for it though... :D

I have the race membership but also an additional insurance policy through a private company to cover me for accidental damages (replace/repair MY bike if I break it).
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    rumbataz wrote:
    I'm thinking about signing up with British Cycling on the 'Ride' tier of membership. It's £35 annually. Of particular interest to me would be the Liability Insurance and Legal Assistance in case I cause damage to someone's property whilst out cycling.

However, I also need to buy cycle insurance for my bikes and this would usually include such cover as an option at least.

Hence, is BC membership worth it?

If you can get the same cover cheaper then no.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    They must have read Rule #25

As the cost to insure my new bicycle is about the same as is to insure my 160bhp 2-litre car, fully comp (insurance group 26) :shock:
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Since my post on this i took out home/bike insurance with pedalcover.

Was £150 more than home insurance alone. My car insurance was £230 last year (250bhp 2.0l if that makes any difference)
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...