Garmin Vector on turbo?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
Is there any reason why a Vector peddle would give an inaccurate reading when used on a turbo (Tacx Flo). Is there anyway of checking if the peddle is working properly other than trying another one? Compared to use on the road the wattage seems low for the amount of effort im using and my heartrate. Its low compared to the Tacx read out but ive read they are not accurate.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• Is there any reason why a Vector peddle would give an inaccurate reading when used on a turbo (Tacx Flo). Is there anyway of checking if the peddle is working properly other than trying another one? Compared to use on the road the wattage seems low for the amount of effort im using and my heartrate. Its low compared to the Tacx read out but ive read they are not accurate.

Is it the same bike as you're using outside? i.e. You haven't transferred it to a turbo bike?

If it is the same bike then it's probably the well known phenomenon of power for perceived effort and heart rate being lower inside. Some of it's due to the surroundings, some due to heat build up, some due to the lack of inertia that the trainer gives you - some trainers are better than others in that respect.
  • DB2012
    DB2012 Posts: 30
    Are you using the same bike? If not make sure the crank length is set correctly on your Garmin. I had this problem and took me a while to work it out.
  • on-yer-bike
    not same bike but same crank length and very similar.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Why did you create two posts with the same text?

viewtopic.php?t=13042827&f=40013
  • JamesFree
    JamesFree Posts: 703
    Its fairly normal to have a lower power output on the turbo so its nothing to worry about.
  • on-yer-bike
    Why did you create two posts with the same text?

viewtopic.php?t=13042827&f=40013
    I wasnt sure which forum to put it in. Sorry!
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    Heat plays a huge part on your body when using a turbo - make sure you use the biggest fan you can find!
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • And preferably two fans, one for your head one for your body!
  • Heat! I use a fan and turbo next to a set of wide open French doors. I can sit at 90% producing a sweat but without the doors open and the fan on I'm dying at 80%! Turbos are an unnatural way to train and our body is a radiator, it needs a huge amount of cooling.

Doesn't the Vector also need a wind-down calibration when it's moved bike to bike?
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3