What size bike do I need?

Rachel__A
Rachel__A Posts: 8
edited July 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi

I'm looking to buy a mountain bike for the first, and I'm getting very confused by what size I should get! I'm 5ft 2 so some websites suggest 14 ins to 15 ins would be right, but my inner leg measurement is 75 cm, which some websites suggest a 17 ins for! As I've obviously got long legs and a short upper body a women's bike seems the way to go, but my local store doesn't stock any and I can only order two to try at a time, so I want to try and get the size right first time if possible. What size should I look to order?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Hi

I'm looking to buy a mountain bike for the first, and I'm getting very confused by what size I should get! I'm 5ft 2 so some websites suggest 14 ins to 15 ins would be right, but my inner leg measurement is 75 cm, which some websites suggest a 17 ins for! As I've obviously got long legs and a short upper body a women's bike seems the way to go, but my local store doesn't stock any and I can only order two to try at a time, so I want to try and get the size right first time if possible. What size should I look to order?

Thanks for your help!

Depends on the bike, really, as there are different geometries and measurements. What bikes were you looking at?
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • I was looking at this one as it seemed a good discount for my budget: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jamis/eden-comp-2016-womens-mountain-bike-ec122176

I actually tried a 16ins of this at the weekend. At the right seat height my arms did feel a little stretched, but I don't know whether that'd be corrected by extending the stem slightly? Or it might just be that I'm not used to a more aggressive stance? Wondering whether to order an 18 ins but it seems a bit weird for someone of only 5ft 2 to need their biggest bike!

Or should I try something different, like the two below? But would I need medium or small?
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/contessa-710-2016-womens-mountain-bike-ec121417
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/trail-tango-5-2016-womens-mountain-bike-ec120315

Thanks very much for your help with this
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At this price point, womens specific bikes often make no sense, you pay a premium for a 'pretty' colour scheme and frequently nothing else, maybe the saddle but that is an easy and cheap swap.

The Scott and 'dale would cost you about £300-400 as a unisex bike, the Jamis is only slightly better.

The womens Vulcan from Halfords is a similar spec for a lot less money, or just get a unisex bike like the Calibre two.two from go outdoors and tweak it to suite.

As for sizing, my eldest daughter is your height and has only suited 13 and 14" frames. With long legs comes a short torso, so you need a smaller bike for the shorter torso, saddle height being easily adjustable, bike length much less so. A 17" would be all wrong in my opinion.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Oh right, do you think I actually need smaller than a 16 ins then? Even though I had to extend the seat quite far for my legs?
  • Also unfortunately I do have to buy from Evans as that's the only place my ride-to-work certificate is valid :-(
  • The Rookie
    Extend the seatpost, it's what it is there for, I would still expect a 16" to be too long for your relatively short reach (most of your reach is in the torso not the arms as its the more 'horizontal' of the two in the normal riding position).

Having a look through Evans offerings
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/charger-72-forma-2016-womens-mountain-bike-ec121323
    Quite a nice spec for the money, adjustable for rider weight air fork as well (usefully lighter), colour scheme is a bit marmite though!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jamis/nemesis-sport-2016-mountain-bike-ec122180
    Decent fork, comes as a 15", has a long seatpost and it's a layback so the cockpit could be shortened using an inline seatpost for only a few quid.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/storm-72-2016-mountain-bike-ec121347
    Comes as an extra small, and is a similar spec to the ones you listed above but at least at a sensible price.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Oh right, do you think I actually need smaller than a 16 ins then? Even though I had to extend the seat quite far for my legs?
    I'm 5' 6.5" with a 75cm/29.5" inside leg(male) and ride 16".I have ridden 17/18" frames and they're too big.My daughter is 5' 4" and my bike is slightly too big for her even with the 40mm Stem.
    We're getting her an XS/14" bike.She doesn't like "female" specific bikes as all the ones she's tried look and feel a bit odd.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Sizing varies a lot between manufacturers and even between models from the same manufacturer.
    I've had bikes ranging from medium to extra large and all were about the same.
    The sear tube length is not a good measurer sizing bikes. The reach measurement is much more important or even the top tube length.
    Stand over clearance is also irrelevant on mountain bikes.
    Women specific bikes aren't all that different to mens. You might find she needs a women specific saddle though.
  • The Rookie
    Holy thread resurrection.....
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    He's obviously bored. Should probably ride a bike or something...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    Odd. This was at the top of the page and had a similar question posted in it today.
  • The Rookie
    Come on , CD and I have both told you not to forget your pills.....
  • rockmonkeysc
    But the police took away my pills and my pharmacist is on the run again