Is your free Lezyne Macro Duo still working?

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited January 2019 in Commuting chat
I know lots of people on here snapped them up pretty much a year ago to the day.

Used mine quite a lot. A couple of times I've charged it but the light has never stopped flashing to signify a full charge. It seemed fine when I used it but very prematurely it's showing a dead battery.

I've never had a USB rechargeable light before but I would have thought that given the cost of a light like this it should be lasting a few years rather than one?

Comments

• Mine is fine and has been used all year - actually it's better than my power drive xl even though it probably shouldn't be.

Has always made a slight buzzing noise but you can't hear it on the road so it's all ok
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Mine still works just fine.
    If you are having battery problems, I think you can change them. There's a small screw beside the charger USB port, looks like an 18650 battery will fit in there nicely (obvious disclaimers apply ;) )
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Mine's been in constant use since it arrived, no buzzing etc. Only issue are a few scratches on the body from when I rest my helmet on the floor before I hang it up in my locker in work.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    A couple of times I've charged it but the light has never stopped flashing to signify a full charge.

Classic sign of a Li-Ion battery that's near the end of it's life. Suggests the battery was on it's way out when you got it and has slowly been rotting away internally ever since. No matter how long you charge it for it will never reach it's 4.2v max output (just produce a lot of heat, which damages the battery further). Nearly all Li-Ion batteries and battery packs end up this way if not cared for properly (which is another post entirely). Typically after a few years hard use. The runtimes probably got shorter and shorter till it couldn't hold a charge at all.
  • pastryboy
    Thanks, I only got approx 3 hours from the last charge on a setting that's supposed to give 5.5 and it discharged itself from a yellow level to completely dead whilst not in use. It does seem erratic though as I'm sure it fared better last time.

I'll dismantle it and see if the battery is replaceable.
  • pastryboy
    I don't think it's possible to get at the battery. I undid all three screws and nothing budges whether twisting, pulling or pushing. The light also suddenly decided it would start working again. Even though it would flash for a second before now it switches on as normal and is showing a yellow on the level indicator.
  • pastryboy
    And now it charged and went to solid green as if there was nothing wrong with it at all.
  • Contact Upgrade Bikes. They handle Lezyne warranty claims and are really very good.
  • pastryboy
    Any idea what the warranty period is? I've had it pretty much exactly a year.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Mine is still working, use it every evening and soon enough in the mornings I imagine. Great light.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Yes, perfectly.

No charging issues at all.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Mines still working ok;seems to go from green to amber pretty quick in use then stays that way for a long while,same when it goes to red.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • Any idea what the warranty period is? I've had it pretty much exactly a year.

I had no issue getting the internals of my microdrive replaced/repaired after 18 months.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No issues with mine. I don't know how much life it has in it as I don't time the use I get from it. I use it on 'fast flash' almost exclusively. 'low constant on' for evening club runs and 'full beam' for solo night riding in Richmond Park.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    No issues with mine, have been using it as a bar-mounted front light, very happy with it.

TBH, even if I had to replace all the batteries in my lights every year (which I don't) I wouldn't be that unhappy; you can get proper Lezyne ones for just over £10 each (I'm never sure how much to trust the cheaper unbranded ones). It's a world away from the Ever Ready lights I grew up with, that took two D cells to produce the barest glimmer (if they worked at all). You were lucky to get 10 hours out of a battery with those things, let alone a year or two...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    mines been crap ever since i got it and today its reached a new low, full charge to amber in 30 mins then red in 10 more and dead, totally useless to me for commuting or anything else actually. Has anyone had a warranty replacement for the freebie mag subscription and if so who did you contact, failing that has anyone managed to get theirs apart?

FYI I just sent back and new Lezyne rear because the full charge even on flash lasts about 30 mins not 3+ hours as advertised, i suspect there are a lot of NOS of this brand out there with cheap arse batteries slowly draining away.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • the_rover
    the_rover Posts: 402
    The battery life on mine wasn't too clever so I contacted this company ( mentioned on this thread ) who asked me to send it back so they could take a look at it.
    http://www.upgradebikes.co.uk/index.aspx

They replaced the internals and battery and sent it back all FOC. Great comms, really helpful and I didn't need to send any paperwork in relation to the crap mag subscription.
  • itboffin
    The battery life on mine wasn't too clever so I contacted this company ( mentioned on this thread ) who asked me to send it back so they could take a look at it.
    http://www.upgradebikes.co.uk/index.aspx

They replaced the internals and battery and sent it back all FOC. Great comms, really helpful and I didn't need to send any paperwork in relation to the crap mag subscription.

cool thanks i'll contact them in the morning, worth a try
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    emailed them and sure enough they said send it in and they'll fix it - ace!

thanks for the tip and perfect timing as now it wont switch on
  • My light has had a year of service and has been great.

charging is slow ish but ive never had to rush it. i get 50-60 minutes before i get the amber light but never used it for longer than 90 mins or so. no buzzing either.
    I use it bar mounted and turned off the rear red light. i will probably get another when this one dies as its taken the place of my 2 bigish Electron lights with their 2 ton battery pack.
    best free gift ever
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Still getting enough life from a charge for 4 commutes which is just under 3 hours of riding by using the low constant mode for 3 minutes then full power for 5 minutes then the remaining 30+ minutes on fast flash with the rear light on flash too.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • This thread reminded me that I had never used mine. I don't cycle in the dark very often, but trying to commute more, which means setting off at around 6.30am.

Used for the first time today with no issues. It's been sat in the garage for the last year or so.
  • pastryboy
    The one I posted about has actually worked perfectly since I made my attempt at taking it apart.

However, I have a second one which I'd hardly used and that died after I dropped it. The light flashes to show it's charging but it's completely dead otherwise. Quite odd as there was no sign of any physical damage.

Contacted the distributor mentioned earlier, was honest about what happened to it and said it's out of warranty and they said just send it back and they'll fit a new battery! Great service.
  • itboffin
    yeah you cant knock that kind of service, i was at the point of not buying anymore Lezyne products because of this but have changed my mind, i'm a sucker for 1st class customer service.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Having posted earlier. that mine was working , seemed to be the kiss of death.
    The green light flashed while on charge, but never went solid. Trying to switch it on resulted in a quick flash, then nothing,
    However, there's light (see what I did there :) ) at the end of the tunnel,
    I decided to try and dismantle it and replace the battery. After removing the 3 screws, no amount of twisting or pulling could extract the inner workings, though I could feel a slight clicking as if it was loosening.
    I pressed the on/off button again, and........................it lives :D
    Screws back in and back on the bike, fingers crossed

Edit: Just found this battery replacement guide for the Micro Drive rear light, a similar but smaller looking light. Construction/design looks the same so it may work
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Lezyne+Mic ... ment/16793
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    MacLeod113 wrote:
    My light has had a year of service and has been great.

charging is slow ish but ive never had to rush it. i get 50-60 minutes before i get the amber light but never used it for longer than 90 mins or so. no buzzing either.
    I use it bar mounted and turned off the rear red light. i will probably get another when this one dies as its taken the place of my 2 bigish Electron lights with their 2 ton battery pack.
    best free gift ever

Exactly the same for me.
  • itboffin
    mines being repaired at this very moment, i think
  • pastryboy
    I posted mine off to them first class on a Friday and had it back the following Thursday.

They confirmed there's no way to change the battery yourself.
  • Still using this light, but run times were down to around 2 hours on low. So I decided to try and change the battery myself.
    Following this guide (I mentioned earlier)
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Lezyne+Mic ... #undefined
    It took 5 minutes, and is easy to do - if a little nerve racking.
    The rubber button just picks out, you'll need a small flat screw driver to poke it back in place, then give it a twist to make sure it's seated properly
    I had to bend the battery connections a little, as it lost the connection when replacing the power unit (switch it on before re-inserting so you know it works)
    Use a finger to push the lense firmly into place

The Lezyne battery is a 3.7v - 2400 mAh battery with circuit protection

Once you've done this, the internals can be removed by hand (it'll still teke a reasonable amount of force), as you will have shaved the retaining lumps of plastic. As long as the front lense, button and rear lense are securely fitted, I don't foresee any waterproof issues. If there are, I reckon I've had my moneys worth out of it by now
  • Mine lives in the bottom of my bag all year round for emergencies when I get stuck at work unexpectedly until midnight!

Only had to fire it up a few times and it's not let me down.
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross