Community wisdom...

j_mcd
j_mcd Posts: 473
edited January 2016 in Commuting chat
Couple of questions on routes...

If RP is an skating rink (like this morning) what route do people who come in from the Kingston side take to avoid it?

And...

Anyone have any tips for the best way back from Liverpool Street to get back to the Embankment. I've tried a few routes and they're all shades of bad!
Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
Planet X London Road - Wet
Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days

Comments

• rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867

If RP is an skating rink (like this morning) what route do people who come in from the Kingston side take to avoid it?

As mentioned on the other thread, I go up and over Kingston Hill, and enter the park via Robin Hood Gate. Kingston Hill has cycle lanes all the way, and isn't too bad at all to cycle on (though be careful of the road surface on the Kingston Vale descent - it's quite potholed in places).

Despite the ice problems in the other parts of the park this morning, the Priory lane stretch from RHG to RG was fine. I've been riding that route on and off for over 20 years (yikes!), and I've never had any issues in sub zero temperatures on that stretch. Fingers crossed though......
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266

Either all the way round the park, (Park Road, Tudor Drive, through the estate via Ham Woods, then up Star & Garter Hill and down Queen's Road) or up Coombe Road, through Raynes Park, Wimbledon Park and Wimbledon.

The latter route is quicker for me, but more difficult to get to the race track.
  • or buy a cross bike and use the gravel path...

I've always gone sheen, star and garter hill, Richmond road when circumventing it fully.

or Kingston, New Malden, Raynes Park then up and over Wimbledon (either from Raynes Park or the ped underpass through the New Malden golf course for a more direct route and up and over wimbledon).
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991

...Despite the ice problems in the other parts of the park this morning, the Priory lane stretch from RHG to RG was fine. I've been riding that route on and off for over 20 years (yikes!), and I've never had any issues in sub zero temperatures on that stretch. Fingers crossed though......
    The last time I came off was on ice 2 years ago on exactly that stretch, and people were reporting ice there this morning too...
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html