De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Normally when I hear about famous musicians etc dying I think oh, that's really sad, but that's it as I didn't know them.
    However this has knocked me for six :(
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Normally when I hear about famous musicians etc dying I think oh, that's really sad, but that's it as I didn't know them.
    However this has knocked me for six :(

Exactly - you hear about it and you go "oh well, it's happens to us all" but this has smacked me across the room.

35 years of listening to Bowie - got me through a lot of stuff in a lot of wired places. Utterly utterly utterly gutted.

So, Lemmy gone. Bowie gone. This year seems to be knocking the remains out of proper music.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Truly dreadful news...

The world's just lost an amazing creative force who was still producing relevant music rather than resting on his laurels (in my opinion). I too don't tend to comment generally when well known people die but David Bowie...

May he rest in peace and his music live on.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Yeah, really shocked by that one. I was just reading a post from a friend on Fakebook about how good his new album is.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Yeah, really shocked by that one. I was just reading a post from a friend on Fakebook about how good his new album is.
    It'll be better now.
    Before you jump all over me, consider how much more poignant Dark Star is.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    It'll be better now.
    I'm glad it was released just before he died rather than just after. Although I'm sure there will still be accusations of people cashing in I'm sure.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Dusty in here isn't it........

Absolutely gutted.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • And still Paul Mcartney lives :roll:
  • Last song I listened to before going to sleep last night was Modern Love. Wake up to the news, bizarre.

Gutted. The legend will live on forever, no doubt about it.
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • Matthewfalle
    Thing is, there's absolutely no one left to take these guys and girls' places:

Adele?
    Ricky Wilson?
    Fukkkkking Olly Murs?

Crock o' shyte.

And kids today don't even realize how crap their music is.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney

Dawn?
    Donny Osmond?
    Fukkkkking Lief Garrett?

Crock o' shyte.

Funny how times reverberate. :lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Matthewfalle

Dawn?
    Donny Osmond?
    Fukkkkking Lief Garrett?

Crock o' shyte.

Acknowledged completely, but those lot were outweighed/balanced by the greats: Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Donovan, Bowie, even friggin' Status Quo. The list could go on infinitum.

Perhaps it's me being a tad miffed today, but there is really nothing coming through: I haven't heard anything that is fit to pull the daffodils out of Morrissey's crack since Morning Glory was released.......

Occasional track - yes. Full album/run of albums together with a personality who changes a generation? Nah.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pblakeney
    Acknowledged completely, but those lot were outweighed/balanced by the greats: Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Donovan, Bowie, even friggin' Status Quo. The list could go on infinitum.
    Blame the money men.
    I have no doubt that there are loads of outstanding artists today. Getting washed over by mediocrity.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599

Dawn?
    Donny Osmond?
    Fukkkkking Lief Garrett?

Crock o' shyte.

Perhaps it's me being a tad miffed today, but there is really nothing coming through: I haven't heard anything that is fit to pull the daffodils out of Morrissey's crack since Morning Glory was released.......

Occasional track - yes. Full album/run of albums together with a personality who changes a generation? Nah.

Arctic Monkeys are the only recent act that even merit discussion but really, they're not in the same league

Very sad news today
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Was an odd one to hear. Can't say I'm shocked, part of me was surprised he wasn't already dead.

Weirdly I had been listening to Heroes all weekend too, on repeat.Think he may be my gym artist this evening.

Can't say I love or even like all of his stuff but he was truly experimental and allowed being weird to be acceptable/cool.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,371
    Although I am a huge fan, I can't really get on with anything he did after about 1983. IMHO, "Let's Dance" was the death knell to a stellar output up to then and "Ashes to Ashes" was the last great Bowie track.

They were reviewing his Dark Star in recognition of his 69th Birthday on radio 4 last week. The reviewer said that it was the first DB album in decades that had made him sit up since Ziggy Stardust. I will definitely give it a listen.

For me, Bowie was at his best with Hunky Dory. A proper "start to finish" album that would put him in the realms of the extraordinary even if he never wrote another song before or after it. But there were, of course, dozens and dozens of other songs and albums that made the man more of an innovator, more of an artist, more of a musician and cultural icon than the sum total of most of what has been before or since.

I read a tribute by a band I follow on Facebook that said ". . . please God, if you insist on taking the bulbs from our guiding lights, then please start to give us some new ones . . ." and I think therein lies the rub. I cannot see the world producing another David Bowie. More imagination, more originality, more talent and more star quality than your average "pop star" could muster in a score of lifetimes.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Matthewfalle
    Although I am a huge fan, I can't really get on with anything he did after about 1983. IMHO, "Let's Dance" was the death knell to a stellar output up to then and "Ashes to Ashes" was the last great Bowie track.

They were reviewing his Dark Star in recognition of his 69th Birthday on radio 4 last week. The reviewer said that it was the first DB album in decades that had made him sit up since Ziggy Stardust. I will definitely give it a listen.

For me, Bowie was at his best with Hunky Dory. A proper "start to finish" album that would put him in the realms of the extraordinary even if he never wrote another song before or after it. But there were, of course, dozens and dozens of other songs and albums that made the man more of an innovator, more of an artist, more of a musician and cultural icon than the sum total of most of what has been before or since.

I read a tribute by a band I follow on Facebook that said ". . . please God, if you insist on taking the bulbs from our guiding lights, then please start to give us some new ones . . ." and I think therein lies the rub. I cannot see the world producing another David Bowie. More imagination, more originality, more talent and more star quality than your average "pop star" could muster in a score of lifetimes.

Brilliant words in the last para - chapeau.

Still moping around. Tonight the MF house is in mourning.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Terribly sad.

He really was the ultimate musician.