Giant Reign 2 vs Canyon Nerve AL

j6collins
j6collins Posts: 15
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
I typically ride the rodalben trail here in Germany, but I am always looking for a good downhill section. I am trying to decide between a Giant reign 2 (which I feel might be too heavy and have too much travel) or the Canyon Nerve (which might not have the right geometry or enough travel). I would love to be able to bomb hills and drops but not at the expense of hating xc trails. What do you guys and gals think?

Here is a YouTube video of the trail I ride most
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_7qCl4b6gPI

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Why not go in between and get a Giant Trance? Or take a look at the Rose Granite Chief.
    The Reign is excellent but hard work on climbs.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Yup, I agree, at least think about the trance as an option. I just got mine and have ridden it only a few times, but I can tell you that it climbs pretty well and it goes downhill almost like a reign.

Greetings from Germany as well! I live barely an hour from where you ride I will have to check that area out...
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • If you are into single track rodalben is awesome. Trance is something I will look into, what about the spectral? I am new to full suspension and do a lot of 20+ mile rides but still want to be able to do some flow trails and down hill.
  • http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/27-5-full-suspension-bikes/giant-trance-27-5-2-2015-review

I keep seeing reviews like this on the Trance, although I don't take every review to heart. I just can't afford multiple bikes so I am attempting to find a jack of all trades that won't get me killed on dh or flow trails for under $3000
  • kickaxe
    http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/27-5-full-suspension-bikes/giant-trance-27-5-2-2015-review

I keep seeing reviews like this on the Trance, although I don't take every review to heart. I just can't afford multiple bikes so I am attempting to find a jack of all trades that won't get me killed on dh or flow trails for under $3000

https://www.rabe-bike.de/shop/giant-trance-3-charcoal-silver-2015.html#availability

Here is a Trance 3 for 1199€, I got mine for that price als well. I suggest you get the three, and upgrade whatever you need as the ime passes, which is what I am doing... I also like the suspension on the 3 better than on the 2, the 3 is nice and progressive while the 2 is hard to get started, then sinks through really easily, and generally is just a bit unpredictable.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • rockmonkeysc
    Giant have probably the best rear suspension set up available. Nothing else is as efficient when climbing and as active when having fun.
    If it was available as a frame only when I built my Transition I would almost certainly have bought a Trance frame instead.
  • Thanks guys for all the help. Just got back from from checking out the trance, it looks pretty good. This might be my best bet. The bike is probably far better than I am anyway.
  • Mmmm I've ridden the new Trance and didn't like it much, probably largely to do with the way it was set up, but the CTD shock felt nasty and the 32 felt rather wet-noodle-y and uninspiring. Bars and stem are far from modern and the bolt-through-but-not-really rear axle is just irritating. It's a few component swaps away from excellence as a package though
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • kickaxe
    Mmmm I've ridden the new Trance and didn't like it much, probably largely to do with the way it was set up, but the CTD shock felt nasty and the 32 felt rather wet-noodle-y and uninspiring. Bars and stem are far from modern and the bolt-through-but-not-really rear axle is just irritating. It's a few component swaps away from excellence as a package though

Yeah, as I said I didn't like the fox suspension at all, be sure to go with the 3 or the 1...
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Has any one ridden a Trance SX yet
  • kickaxe

I did for one day at the bikepark (you have to climb a bit to get to some of the trails). It was a pretty crazy bike, very nimble, the climbing was hard, but mostly because I had full DH gear on (After taking the gear off it went quite well). Even downhill I preferred it to the Reign, simply because it was a a lot lighter, more flickable and felt more direct. But for where the original poster rides it is definitely overkill as well...
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    With the Nerve you effectively get to spec your shock / fork combination as you go up the range. Son has the Nerve and has been very happy with it as an all round bike. It may not be perfect (at least one poster here will say it is flexy, son has never noticed this) but chances are you'll not notice.

e.g. 6.0 - Monarch / Reba
    7.0 - Fox Performance Float / Fox performance 32 Float
    8.0 - Same
    9.0 - Fox Performance Float / Fox performance 34 Float
    9.0 SL - Fox Factory Float / Fox Factory 34 Float
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • eric_draven

I did for one day at the bikepark (you have to climb a bit to get to some of the trails). It was a pretty crazy bike, very nimble, the climbing was hard, but mostly because I had full DH gear on (After taking the gear off it went quite well). Even downhill I preferred it to the Reign, simply because it was a a lot lighter, more flickable and felt more direct. But for where the original poster rides it is definitely overkill as well...

it was a cheeky ask for myself on some else's post,I'm looking at between a Trance sx a Scout or a 5010,there is not many used Scouts around and the 5010's are still holding good money,the trance seems a lot better value
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Scout rides quite a bit different to the Trance. Not better or worse, just different.
    It's probably heavier I guess and not as efficient climbing but point it down a trail with lots of jumps, berms and rock gardens and I would say the Scout easily beats the Trance. As an all-round bike for a bit of everything the Trance maybe beats the Scout.
    The 5010 is somewhere between but for me, not worth the extra cash.
  • eric_draven
    The Scout rides quite a bit different to the Trance. Not better or worse, just different.
    It's probably heavier I guess and not as efficient climbing but point it down a trail with lots of jumps, berms and rock gardens and I would say the Scout easily beats the Trance. As an all-round bike for a bit of everything the Trance maybe beats the Scout.
    The 5010 is somewhere between but for me, not worth the extra cash.
    I know what you are saying about Santa Cruz,as nice as they are just a bit pricey,I have had a couple before loved my Driver8,such a playful bike
    The Trance i'm leaning to is the SX version just a bit slacker angles,head angle same as a Scout,not to worried about being all round as I have a hardtail for long xc stuff
    just struggling to find a used Scout in my size at the moment,really after a frame to build myself
  • Hob Nob
    Hob Nob Posts: 200
    The Trance SX uses the same frame as the normal Trance, it just runs a longer fork which slackens it out.

The Scout is quite a bit more progressive in its geometry though - it's a lot longer in reach & lower in BB. Giant pushed the boat out with the new Reign & made is also very long & low, but the Trance is probably due an update now if things are moving that way - it looks quite short & conservative on paper now.

The main downside of the Scout for me is it weighs more than most 160mm travel frames.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Scout is heavy for a short travel bike but it's built to be ridden very hard. I know someone who used to do dirt jumps and freeride on his, he even rode it down Air Voltage in Chatel including some huge (15 foot) drops.
    More suspension doesn't really add weight, more metal to increase strength does.
    My large Scout is built with Hope Enduro wheels, Rockshox Pikes and fairly solid kit and weighs 30lb.
  • eric_draven
    I know someone with a Scout will have to see if I can catch up with him over crimbo and have a go on it,sat on a Reign 1 yesterday it was a small,but me at 5'10" it didn't really feel to short,weighed in at 29lb,just a bit to much travel for me,and it was a tad bright,did go to look at a Trance SX but was a large to big for me,will hold fire till iv'e had a go on a scout
  • Doing more and more research the trance seems like a winner, however the canyon strive is looking like a pretty good ride. How do you guys and gals feel that it will perform on technical xc trails.
  • kickaxe
    Doing more and more research the trance seems like a winner, however the canyon strive is looking like a pretty good ride. How do you guys and gals feel that it will perform on technical xc trails.

I can't comment on the strive, but I can tell you that the trance gives you lots of traction without having much bob or weight (my Trance weighs about 13 kilos, once I make it tubeless it will be even better...)
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • rockmonkeysc
    Before you think about buying a Strive have a read here
    http://m.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=168001
  • Wow I did not read that about the strive's shapeshifter. Thanks a lot for that I have done a lot of research and have not seen much negative about it.
  • Giant trance sx has 160 front 140 rear and 67 degree head angle,
    The canyon strive has 160 front 130/160 rear with a 67.5/66 head angle

What am I missing? 130 with a 67.5 head angle seems like it should ride pretty well on xc trails in comparison to the trance sx? Shouldn't this be a true do it all bike?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Should be but people are waiting six months or longer for them and then the shapeshifter dies and you have to wait for another frame.
  • kickaxe
    Giant trance sx has 160 front 140 rear and 67 degree head angle,
    The canyon strive has 160 front 130/160 rear with a 67.5/66 head angle

What am I missing? 130 with a 67.5 head angle seems like it should ride pretty well on xc trails in comparison to the trance sx? Shouldn't this be a true do it all bike?

Actually, my normal Trance has a head angle of 66° (on paper it has 67° :? ), and the trance SX has an angle of 65.5°, due to the longer fork. Seems like quite a few people have those numbers as well.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
  • I am in a position to recieve an 19% off of canyon bikes so I decided to inquire about the strive. I asked a simple question with no response. I sent a second email with no response. After a third email I told them how poor their customer service was and they gave me another poor response after two more emails. I began using the chat function on the website, still no response. Do not order from canyon they will not back you on anything after the order. It is ok to say I told you so, I guess it's back to my giant dealer, oh wait they took two weeks off for a ski trip. Bad week to get my bonus :evil:
  • eric_draven
    I am in a position to recieve an 19% off of canyon bikes so I decided to inquire about the strive. I asked a simple question with no response. I sent a second email with no response. After a third email I told them how poor their customer service was and they gave me another poor response after two more emails. I began using the chat function on the website, still no response. Do not order from canyon they will not back you on anything after the order. It is ok to say I told you so, I guess it's back to my giant dealer, oh wait they took two weeks off for a ski trip. Bad week to get my bonus :evil:

Unlike Canyon,there's more than one place you can buy a Giant from
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Canyon UK, made an info release the other day, they admitted being snowed under trying to 'handle' the late delivery issues caused by the factory and software change, I guess that quite rightly they are prioritising the customers who they have already let down than trying to create new sales right now!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.