Degradation of LED's

woodyonthebeach
woodyonthebeach Posts: 583
edited March 2016 in The workshop
Need some thoughts.

I have noticed my flasher is losing its flashing prowess.

I have tried changed the batteries and made sure they were kept warm before I left the house, but light seems to have lost its power.

I read that LED's can degrade over time and I was wondering if anybody has had anything like this happen or is it just a myth that this can happen.
The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Need some thoughts.

I have noticed my flasher is losing its flashing prowess.

I have tried changed the batteries and made sure they were kept warm before I left the house, but light seems to have lost its power.

I read that LED's can degrade over time and I was wondering if anybody has had anything like this happen or is it just a myth that this can happen.

Funny, I was wondering the same about the Fenix L2D I uise as a front light. It's probably 7 years old now, and even with new, fully charged batteries I'm sure it's not as bright as it used to be. On the other hand my eyes are 7 years older too...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, they start to go - eventually! One of my fairly recent ones, an XML-T6 does not seem as bright as it did a few years back.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Yes, they can degrade, and sometimes really quickly if they overheat. Sometimes they change colour, other times they reduce power. You might see the LED itself change from the "yellow" they typically are, to a different colour.

So, new bike, right, because the lights broken?
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • I am not aware of anything that doesn't degrade from the universe downwards
    left the forum March 2023
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    As well as the actual crystal that emits the light, there is a fair bit of circuitry to drive it, and these can also degrade getting partial shorts or open circuits. These will all get worse far faster if they get hotter.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Crystal?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I am not aware of anything that doesn't degrade from the universe downwards

Pinno doesn't - he is immortal and All Powerful.

I heard that it's because of the Gallovidian water and the fact that he moisturises regularly.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    I am not aware of anything that doesn't degrade from the universe downwards

Vino.
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    LEDs lose brightness over time. How fast depends on the temperature, which depends on how well cooled they are and how much current is pushed through them. A well-cooled LED run at low brightness will last more or less forever, while an inadequately cooled LED pushed to the limit will burn out quickly.
  • jimmypippa
    The Rookie wrote:
    Crystal?

Yes, the actual diode that emits the light in the "LED" is a crystal - a crystal of Gallium Nitride for white LEDs. I can't remember what it is for red ones.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Its crystalline (structure) not a crystal.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    The Rookie wrote:
    LEDs really are crystal. They start off as a big single crystal of semiconductor, then they slice that up into wafers, and the individual LEDs are a small portion of that.
  • jimmypippa
    Mr Evil wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    LEDs really are crystal. They start off as a big single crystal of semiconductor, then they slice that up into wafers, and the individual LEDs are a small portion of that.

Indeed, many (but not all) photovoltaic cells are not a single crystal, but as you say, LEDs are.