Front wheel rubbing

littlerose
littlerose Posts: 3
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Recently bought a road bike. I've never done any bike maintenance myself before, but took the wheels off to give it a good clean. The back wheel came off fine, but the front wheel was so tight it was a struggle (they're quick release).

Now when I put the front wheel back on, and close the brake release, the tyre won't move at all.

I've tried tightening/untightening the quick release to no avail.

It seems as though the brakes are too tight, but I haven't adjusted them at all since removing the wheel. When the brake release is open though, the wheel spins well and doesn't seem off centre.

Any thoughts? I can't decide if:

A) breaks are somehow too tight
B) wheel is somehow buckled - not sure what the signs of this would be
C) i haven't put the wheel on back properly

Help much appreciated!

Comments

• Recently bought a road bike. I've never done any bike maintenance myself before, but took the wheels off to give it a good clean. The back wheel came off fine, but the front wheel was so tight it was a struggle (they're quick release).

Now when I put the front wheel back on, and close the brake release, the tyre won't move at all.

I've tried tightening/untightening the quick release to no avail.

It seems as though the brakes are too tight, but I haven't adjusted them at all since removing the wheel. When the brake release is open though, the wheel spins well and doesn't seem off centre.

Any thoughts? I can't decide if:

A) breaks are somehow too tight
    B) wheel is somehow buckled - not sure what the signs of this would be
    C) i haven't put the wheel on back properly

Help much appreciated!

Brakes might have shifted when you took the wheel off - if that's the case then one brake block will be jammed against the wheel. Loosen the brake nut, close the brakes fully and then re tighten the nut - that will centre them.

If brakes are too tight (narrow) both blocks will be against both sides of the rim - if that's the case are you sure the brake release lever was fully closed before you removed the wheel. The solution is either to loosen of the barrel adjuster (if there's any scope) or release a bit more cable so they sit wider apart. If the brakes were set up with the right cable length but the lever wasn't fully closed, and now you are closing it properly then that could jam both blocks against the rim.

You may well have not set the wheel properly in the fork though so gave a good look before you tighten the QR to see if it's sitting fully on the drop outs on the fork.

If the wheel is buckled (out of true) set it so the brake block are very close but not touching and spin it andyou will see it wobble if it's not true and/or it will catch a block where it's out. I've used cocktail sticks stuck to the forks with blue tac a few times to see if a wheels true! You just need a reference (like the gauges on a trueing stand) to see if the wheel is true.

Post a photo as that might help if this doesn't do it.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    The first idea about the brake release lever is a definite possibility.

When I picked up my bike from the LBS it actually only had the lever half way closed. When I closed it properly it clamped the wheel. A few mm of cable loosened and everything was okay.
  • Thanks guys, both very helpful.

I'll take another look at the weekend but think it's likely to be the first or second problems - fingers crossed and hopefully I can manage to get it all running smoothly again!
  • Thanks guys, both very helpful.

I'll take another look at the weekend but think it's likely to be the first or second problems - fingers crossed and hopefully I can manage to get it all running smoothly again!

Should be easy enough to tell - if the whole calliper has shifted one block should be against one side of the rim - if it was the brake quick release lever being more closed after reinstall both would be too close. Either way both are quick to checks and easy fixes. Please let us know how it goes as I'm super curious now!
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    You do know about the 'lawyer tabs' to help hold the front wheel in if the Q/R comes undone? Normally the front wheel should just fall out if the brake release cam is released.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Is the front quick release lever on your left hand side, when you're seated on the bike. Pretty hard to put the rear wheel in any way other than it came out, but the front isn't as obvious. Saying that though, spacing should be central anyway...
  • plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    Is the front quick release lever on your left hand side, when you're seated on the bike. Pretty hard to put the rear wheel in any way other than it came out, but the front isn't as obvious. Saying that though, spacing should be central anyway...

How will having the QR on the right hand side make a difference?

Have you seated the wheel in the dropout whilst it's on the floor, just to make sure it's seated correctly, if you've done on a stand probably not seated correctly.

Failing that there should be some movement on the calipers so move it so there is equal distance between both pads and the rim.
  • Cable pulled out of its stop on the top of the caliper?
  • Cable pulled out of its stop on the top of the caliper?

If things were fine before, this would be my guess - the outer part of the cable sits in a little cup, it can come out and jam on the edge of the cup when you release the brakes.

As for getting the front wheel off, the forks have little tabs - "lawyer tabs" - that stop the wheel falling out even if the QR is released. You need to unscrew the nut om the QR about 3 turns after releasing it to get the wheel out - and screw it up again when you fit the wheel.