Peugeot Premiere Carbolite 103

declan1
declan1 Posts: 2,470
edited April 2016 in Your road bikes
Here it is - finally! It's a very old Peugeot Premiere with the Carbolite 103 frame. Found in a skip, completely stripped down, renovated, sprayed and here it is! Don't know any details of it, as all original stickers etc. weren't in readable condition. I do know it's got Weinmann brakes, Campagnolo hubs and Shimano SIS gearset (I don't think the Shimano stuff is original). Tell me what you think!

WholeBike.jpg

Saddle.jpg

Derailleur.jpg

BrakeLever.jpg

Brake.jpg

Shimano.jpg

BikeFront.jpg

It rides beautifully - so comfortable (probably due to the steel frame and 28mm tyres)!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

Comments

• ed_j
    ed_j Posts: 335
    Beautiful, great job, bet you're chuffed.

For your own sake change those brakes and levers though. Suicide they are.

And it looks like you've wrapped that tape a bit strange. You should leave a couple of cms bar before the stem:

http://www.roadbikeaction.com/New-Relea ... -Wrap.html
  • declan1
    Ed J wrote:
    Beautiful, great job, bet you're chuffed.

For your own sake change those brakes and levers though. Suicide they are.

And it looks like you've wrapped that tape a bit strange. You should leave a couple of cms bar before the stem:

http://www.roadbikeaction.com/New-Relea ... -Wrap.html

Thanks! The brakes are actually brilliant - I don't think they need changing (yet)! ;)

The handlebars are really narrow - less than 40cm. Maybe that's why the bar tape went all the way to the stem :lol:

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• ed_j
    ed_j Posts: 335
    declan1 wrote:
    Ed J wrote:
    Thanks! The brakes are actually brilliant - I don't think they need changing (yet)! ;)

The handlebars are really narrow - less than 40cm. Maybe that's why the bar tape went all the way to the stem :lol:

Well at any rate don't use those suicide levers!

Don't follow your logic there, if the bars are narrow surely you'd only use the very outside of the bars rather than right down to the narrowest bit possible?
  • declan1
    Ed J wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    Ed J wrote:

Well at any rate don't use those suicide levers!

Don't follow your logic there, if the bars are narrow surely you'd only use the very outside of the bars rather than right down to the narrowest bit possible?

The handlebars were pretty rusty, and don't look their best. If the tape was a few cm from the stem you'd see stained/rusty/corroded (not dangerously) bars.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Stunning job, I cant believe thats a skip find!

If it was mine i'd put a black Brooks Team Pro on it.
  • declan1
    hipshot wrote:
    Stunning job, I cant believe thats a skip find!

If it was mine i'd put a black Brooks Team Pro on it.

The friend that gave it to us actually found it in skip and took it home. He decided he didn't want it so threw it in another skip, only to change his mind a week later and get it out again :D

New stuff:

Tyres
    Handlebar Tape
    Saddle (came from old bike we had in the garage)
    Pedals (came from my road bike)
    Paint
    Stickers
    Chain
    All in all spent about £65 (new tyres and tubes were £40 plus the really nice bar tape, paint and chain).

Thanks for the kind comments!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• i used to have all that weinman brake set up . the alloy on your levers callipers and handle bar stem , clean amazingly with a 50/50 mix of toothpaste and brasso , they will look chrome plated after 2 hours of rubbing .
    Britannia waives the rules
  • declan1
    timmyturbo wrote:
    i used to have all that weinman brake set up . the alloy on your levers callipers and handle bar stem , clean amazingly with a 50/50 mix of toothpaste and brasso , they will look chrome plated after 2 hours of rubbing .

Great! Thanks for that tip - I'll have a shot sometime soon and post pics!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• steerer ok? forks look like they've taken a rather large head on.. but looks nice
    fatreg

"live fast, die young"

\'Dale F2000sl
  • declan1
    fatreg wrote:
    steerer ok? forks look like they've taken a rather large head on.. but looks nice

Thanks! I see what you mean, but it's fine ;)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Thanks for your post. I, too, picked up an old 103 in a local dump for a tenner. Quite a steal although it was looking a little sorry for itself.
  • Anyway, I stripped it down, admittedly binned a lot of the original stuff (this had clearly been left in the rain for several years and I wanted to be sure it would be in best condition to make my London commuter). Now it's pretty much a homage to Autosol (similar to Brasso). I wanted to keep the look as classic as possible so went for gumwalls, leather, and even the 50's white ridged cable housing for the brakes.

To save myself some trouble and match the prevalent trend, I've opted for a fixed gear which has revolutionised the way I cycle and turns the shortest of journeys into an exhilarating workout. Hopefully this one will last another 30/40 years!
  • Had to upload crappy-sized photos that really don't do it justice. If anyone voices an interest I'll post a link to another site where they could be viewed in better quality.
  • Show us please.
    I bought peugeot too.Don`t know which model.I have to disassemble all i can if i want to see condition.
    declan1 realy done the great job.
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    Awww, a Peugeot Equipe with 103 Carbolite ("lite"... ha!) tubing was my first "racer" over 30 years ago. Probably been recycled by now. £105 from Halfords I think it was.

Great job given the financial outlay involved. I'd be tempted to spend a few more quid getting the handlebar/brake set-up more comfortable but I guess that's personal preference. Gotta love an old Pug.
  • KoenM
    KoenM Posts: 95
    The shimano SIS is actually not that old, it would be cool if u would use an old simplex derailleur would fit the build alot more (and that's coming from a Shimano-guy). Ow and get another bottleholder, this one really doesn't fit the build, even a cheap wire bottle holder would fit it alot more. And for your own sake (and the build) get a better saddle, maybe a Brooks.
  • Right folks, can't get my photos posted directly up on the thread but hopefully you can see them in the Dropbox folder. Follow this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hcscez8lpw43 ... CB35a?dl=0

If it doesn't work then let me know and I'll try something else. Sorry for the lag time in response - I didn't realise that people still checked this thread!