TRP Hy/Rd For Full Hydraulics

fatdaz
fatdaz Posts: 348
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Hi

I have a Genesis Equilibrium disc which currently has TRP Hy/Rd brakes. As part of an upgrade I want to swap the brakes out for RS685 hydraulic discs, partly because I've never got the TRP brakes right (nor have 2 bike shops I've sent it to), partly to go 11-speed and partly because I want a chance to mess about and do some work on the bike. I understand the implications of moving from 10 to 11-speed but are there any potential gotchas specific to the changing of the brakes? I'm wondering about things like are the mounting holes on the frame standard or will I need any kind of adapter and do I need to worry about the cabling other than ensuring the hydraulic cables fit through the existing cable guides?

Thanks

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hi

I have a Genesis Equilibrium disc which currently has TRP Hy/Rd brakes. As part of an upgrade I want to swap the brakes out for RS685 hydraulic discs, partly because I've never got the TRP brakes right (nor have 2 bike shops I've sent it to), partly to go 11-speed and partly because I want a chance to mess about and do some work on the bike. I understand the implications of moving from 10 to 11-speed but are there any potential gotchas specific to the changing of the brakes? I'm wondering about things like are the mounting holes on the frame standard or will I need any kind of adapter and do I need to worry about the cabling other than ensuring the hydraulic cables fit through the existing cable guides?

Thanks

A lot depends on the age of your frameset as far as the disc caliper mounting set-up is concerned. The new framesets as listed on the Genesis website all have standard post mounts where the mounting bosses on the frame are parallel to the plane of the road (ie at right angles to the plane of the wheel). See the pics on the Genesis site below

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/frames/equilibrium-disc-725-frameset

On the older framesets the mounting bosses were at right angles to the plane of the road (ie parallel to the planbe of the wheel) As here:-

equilibrium-disc-frameset.jpg

If your frame is of this older type than you will already have the IS to Post Mount adaptors fitted and you will need to retain those when you fit the new Shimano hydraulic calipers. If your frame is a newer version as indicated in my first link then it should be just a straight swap.

I am assuming that the Shimano hydraulics will already come with the required cables and these should fit the existing guides wiuth just some new mini cable ties toi hlod them in place.
  • fatdaz
    Thanks for the quick response. I had to install adapters when I installed the TRP brakes so it sounds like these are standard. The RS685 do come with all the right cables so I'll make sure the holes in the existing cable guides have a sufficient diameter and it sounds like I'm good
  • What exactly is not right about your TRP HyRD?
    left the forum March 2023
  • fatdaz
    The lever throw is really long and I just can't get the back brake to generate any stopping power. I've gone through everything I could find online about ensuring the pistons are balanced, the pads and rotors are clean and the system is bled. After many, many attempts I took it in to 2 shops and neither of them have got it any better
  • The lever throw is really long and I just can't get the back brake to generate any stopping power. I've gone through everything I could find online about ensuring the pistons are balanced, the pads and rotors are clean and the system is bled. After many, many attempts I took it in to 2 shops and neither of them have got it any better

Long lever throw is normal. Shimano hydraulics have long throw too, so not a lot of improvement there. The rear brake has a long outer cable, which if compressed makes the lever very spongy and the action poor. I only use a TRP front for that reason. There is compressioneless outer, which will solve the problem, not cheap though! The Jagwire on Ebay is also decent, but not real compressionless

You might be better off getting a pair of TRP Spyre, or art least one at the back... with that you can adjust the lever throw to what you prefer... hydraulics are an expensive solution and might not even be the solution you want
    left the forum March 2023
  • fatdaz
    Thanks - I might look at compressionless outer for the rear. I finally managed to get the front working pretty well yesterday - certainly better in the wet than the Ultegra/Swiss Stop combination on my other bike