G-form elbow pads

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
I'm so covered in gravel rash after my recent escapades that I'm going to buy some knee and elbow pads. After umming and ahhing too long and hence already having a big hole in my knee I've bit the bullet on some of the dainese trail skins for my knees. I'm wondering what to do about elbow pads. I honestly am not sure I'll wear them all the time, but I guess the lower weight the more likely I will. I'm really after something that will stop grazes, gravel rash and painful knocks to the elbow, not something that will prevent a broken arm. I'm inclined to give the g-forms a go for the elbow, it looks like they can be worn under a long sleeve top and just ward off the worst of any falls.

Has anyone used these and can report back, or have other positive reccomendations for elbow pads? My other thoughts were the race face Indy pads, I think the trail skins look good, but maybe a touch too much coverage.

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Yeah I've got g form elbow and knee pads, they're good
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Ah cool thanks, care to elaborate? :lol: comfy enough and give enough protection? Cheers
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Yup haha they're good in both those areas. Can't fault em. I've had a couple of offs and they've done the trick
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I had some Troy Lee elbow pads, which were OK but tended to slip a little over time (usually in a rock garden). I decided to try a 661 Sub Gear just for a trip to Antur, and the elbow pads have been resigned to the wardrobe. Only cost £30 but the pads stay in place, plus you get added shoulder protection. I wear the Sub Gear if it's a bit rocky where I am heading, and luckily landed shoulder and helmet first at Lee Quarry and it saved me from a grazing.

I wouldn't wear it all the time, but for the bumpier stuff it's good. I've not tried it in summer though.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    the G-form pads do not conform EN 1621-1 though ( I think) - if you want the minimalist type of pad then the Bliss Arg pad is a better idea (confirms to en 1621-1)
  • Agree with POAH.

Refer to the Review | Twelve Protectors in a grouptest:
    http://ebike-mtb.com/en/the-review-twelve-protectors-in-a-grouptest/

The Bliss minimalist pads are amazingly light 185g pads but comply to the CE EN-1621-1 certification
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I'm so covered in gravel rash after my recent escapades that I'm going to buy some knee and elbow pads. After umming and ahhing too long and hence already having a big hole in my knee I've bit the bullet on some of the dainese trail skins for my knees. I'm wondering what to do about elbow pads. I honestly am not sure I'll wear them all the time, but I guess the lower weight the more likely I will. I'm really after something that will stop grazes, gravel rash and painful knocks to the elbow, not something that will prevent a broken arm. I'm inclined to give the g-forms a go for the elbow, it looks like they can be worn under a long sleeve top and just ward off the worst of any falls.

Has anyone used these and can report back, or have other positive reccomendations for elbow pads? My other thoughts were the race face Indy pads, I think the trail skins look good, but maybe a touch too much coverage.

Why are so many people resistant to wearing pads? What's the big deal? Put 'em on and then forget about them. The only time I think about my pads is when I'm pulling them on and then at the end of the day as I'm pulling them off. I don't give them a second thought during the day. On the other hand, when I've gone down without them on, that's with me for a week.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I wear protection if I'm riding something particularly tech but never elbow pads.
    I find elbow pads uncomfortable and to be honest I can't remember the last time I had any more than a bruise or graze on an elbow.
    For enduro racing I wear just knee pads and for downhill I use short sleeve light weight upper body armour.
    The most common serious injury is shoulder injuries and no amount of padding protects against that. I broke my collar bone and dislocated my shoulder in one accident while wearing alpine stars heavy duty upper body armour.
    I can accept minor injuries and prefer to wear the absolute minimum padding, especially in summer.
  • Angus Young
    The most common serious injury is shoulder injuries and no amount of padding protects against that.

Had a crash about a month and a half ago and I still can't raise my left arm above my head (stretching, for example) without it feeling like someone has punched me really hard in the shoulder when I drop my arm. So I think I've done something nasty to the deltoid and, as you say, padding would probably have been of little help. Pads have helped my knees, though, on more occasions than I can count.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Sounds like a separated shoulder. Get yourself to a good sports physio and get it fixed. Injuries like that can go on for several months if not treated.
    Padding wouldn't have helped, the shoulder is basically getting torn apart by the impact. Building muscle is the only protection against injuries like separations and dislocations.
  • Angus Young
    Sounds like a separated shoulder. Get yourself to a good sports physio and get it fixed. Injuries like that can go on for several months if not treated.
    Padding wouldn't have helped, the shoulder is basically getting torn apart by the impact. Building muscle is the only protection against injuries like separations and dislocations.

No, I don't think it's a separated shoulder. The pain when I lower my arm is in the deltoid, just below the shoulder where the muscle tapers into the arm, just above the tricep. Stretching up is fine, no pain at all, but then when I lower the arm it feels like someone has taken a really good punch at the muscle. I think it's more of a torn muscle sort of thing. Yes, I should get it checked, but hate going to the doctor unless I'm absolutely dying. Always feel like I'm wasting their time.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I wear protection if I'm riding something particularly tech but never elbow pads.
    I find elbow pads uncomfortable and to be honest I can't remember the last time I had any more than a bruise or graze on an elbow.
    I can accept minor injuries and prefer to wear the absolute minimum padding, especially in summer.

I managed to go completely over the bars on a hired MTB in Tenerife (company jolly). My lycra was undamaged but the volcanic rock made a proper mess of my left elbow; blood going everywhere! I've got some cool scars to show for it now :D