Single Speed Etape Riding

Weathered Ali
Weathered Ali Posts: 3
edited January 2016 in Amateur race
I'm thinking about riding the Loch Ness Etape next year on my single speed. It's not a fixie, they're not allowed, but I wondered if anyone has experience of tape riding on a single speed bike.

I rode from Glasgow to Bristol two years ago over 5 days doing at least 70 miles per day, so I'm pretty sure I can do it physically.

Comments

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Ive never done the Etape loch ness but from what i gather it is a flat route with one really big hill, so that would make gearing choice quite hard - you'll want something big enough to take advantage of the closed roads and the groups on the flat section but not too big that you cant make it up the hill. Would be a good challenge though and achievable too.
  • Thanks Omar, I need to look at the route in more detail, but it feels like it is possible.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Maybe try the sportive forum
  • Why?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Why?

Because it's likely that there will be more people with relevant experience in there to answer his question.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I've done the Joddrell Bank Sportive on fixed. I didn't think to ask if it was allowed.

I think I've ridden that hill by Loch Ness - it would make it a challenge but I don't think it's impossible. Its not like its lots of climbing. Mainly flat.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I did that by mistake last year - snapped a spoke 10 yards in and the spoke snagged my derailleur and tore it off. Rode 200k on my own through the Yorkshire Dales in something like 34-17. It was brutal. Wouldn't do it by choice.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.