play in bottom bracket, 1989 Dawes Scorpio, exage 300ex

badgolfer1973
badgolfer1973 Posts: 11
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Hi,
I have aquired a 1989 dawes scorpio road bike, it's a little beat up and I intend restore it eventually.

there is a little wiggle in the crank arms as if the BB is a little loose, is this something I can tighten? If I have a go at removing bits to have a look am I likely to encounter problems trying to put it back and are all bottom brackets basically the same size? am I going to find it hard to get replacements?

the crankset is shimano exage 300ex 52/40

I am a not a complete idiot but I am a newby

Comments

• bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    Your Exage chainset will be on a square taper BB. If it's the original, which it may be, it's most likely a non-cartridge type, and could be removed and possibly serviced - ie remove, clean, re-grease, re-fit and adjust. This is assuming it's not worn, which it most likely is.

Your best option is to remove it, measure the length of the spindle and buy the appropriate Shimano cartridge replacement. These are sealed for life, cheap (£10-£15) and widely available. You will need appropriate tools for this, unless you take it to a shop to get it done.
  • Thanks very much for your reply, I've been watching endless videos on YouTube and it's all starting to make sense now.
    Thanks again.